SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion
Budget Title: Personnel Associate
Local Title: Benefits Assistant and Leave Manager
Posting Date: January 22, 2018
Duties: The Department of Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion is seeking a new, creative and engaged member of our team. The position of Benefits Assistant and Leave Manager is a critical partner in our recruitment and retention practices, providing comprehensive services and support to approximately 1200 SUNY New Paltz employees. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Benefits, this position would support the general administration of employee benefits including retirement and health enrollment. Specifically, this position will be charged with managing all employee leaves, ADA request and workers compensation within a case management model that includes the support of the Employee Relations and Organizational Development areas of the department. The successful candidate joins a group of professionals that embraces continuous improvement. This position must be able to engage with a diverse population of employees and be committed to excellence in customer service, confidentiality and to facilitating prompt and equitable solutions to request or concerns.
• Serve as a liaison between staff, supervisors, department heads and the college while working through a case management model that includes employee relations and payroll partners
• Maintain clear and consistent records and documentation for personal and family leaves of absence and short/long-term disability, focusing on complex cases and the interpretation and application of regulations including but not limited to FMLA, Worker’s Compensation, ADA and other leave of absence benefits within the parameter of state, SUNY system and negotiated agreements
• Communicate complex rules and regulations so that they are accessible and understood by employees
• Develop and track leave plans and return to work plans, guiding reasonable accommodation processes as appropriate, and keeping appropriate partner offices and team members informed
• Lead and assist in the development and implementation of policies, forms, procedures related to leaves of absence.
• Review, update and document internal procedures as needed
• Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Benefits and the Organizational Development team to prepare, update, and distribute benefits communication materials for programs
• Collaborate with the Organizational Development team to offer employee benefit enrollment meetings including but not limited to new employee orientation, employee wellness workshops, and open enrollment roll out
• Participate in projects as needed
• Other duties as assigned
General Benefits Assistance
• Assist employees with general questions regarding benefits and facilitate prompt and equitable solutions to request or concerns, helping to make complex rules and regulations accessible to employees
• Manage retirement enrollment
• Perform eligibility and enrollment audits to ensure that employees are correctly reflected in the HRIS and State Benefits Databases
• Research, calculate and maintain records and correspondence for prior service request
• Work in collaboration with Payroll to conduct routine audits of employee deductions to ensure employees are properly enrolled
• Data management and generating reports within a complex HRIS environment; with a strong working knowledge of Excel
• Manage and track all Worker’s Compensation claims including reporting
• Assist in developing materials communicating new plans to employees.
• Maintain Benefits calendar
• Assist with orientation as needed
• Committee work and other duties as assigned
Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of experience in HR or Benefits Administration or administering detail oriented and policy bound programs and initiatives
• A demonstrated record of strong work ethic, customer service centered practice as well as collegiality and professionalism
• Excellent written and spoken communication. Must be able to address groups and individuals and communicate complex policies and practices to a variety of audiences. Must be able to adapt communication style and messaging to both internal and external audiences.
• Must have excellent project management skills and be effective in managing multiple and competing priorities.
• Must have a high attention to detail and maintain clear and consistent records and documentation.
• Must have a strong working knowledge or Microsoft Suite of products as well as relational databases, reports and report analysis.
• Ability to maintain and effectively use data to support work and practices
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information of three professional references. Please apply by visiting https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications accepted until the position is filled, priority given to those received by 3/1/18.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full NYS benefits, which are among the most comprehensive in the nation.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Candidates who bring diverse cultural experience and who are especially qualified to mentor and advise all members of our diverse student population are especially encouraged to apply.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.