SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Classified Service)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Vice President - Student Affairs
Budget Title: Non-Competitive Secretary 2
Local Title: Non-Competitive Secretary 2; Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Posting Date: November 15, 2017
Classification: SG 15; $23.74/hour
Duties: • Gather data relevant to complex or unusual inquiries in order to provide a basis for a reply or a decision and/or draft the reply. (i.e., Research problem and gather all necessary information to answer questions raised. Decide which program staff must be consulted to verify information. Trace transactions as far back as necessary to insure that all collected information is accurate. Prepare response to correspondence and submit to manager for review.)
• Answer the telephone, respond to questions concerning policy or procedures and refer calls to appropriate staff member for very technical information.
• Receive visitors to the office in a manner that helps them to feel welcome and respected, regardless of their reason for visiting.
• Manage confidential information and student records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
• Create cases in Maxient, a confidential database for disciplinary record keeping. Inputs conduct cases, academic integrity violations, hospital transports, Title IX reports, transfer applicant disciplinary documents, mental health incidents, as well as Residence Life disciplinary updates.
• Notify faculty of student illness or death.
• Respond to questions concerning program, policy and procedure. Refer most complex technical questions to appropriate staff. (i.e., Secretary must have significant knowledge of program area to respond instantly to a variety of procedural and policy questions. In cases where more detailed answers are required or background-information is needed, research problems completely with program staff. If question is very technical and requires original interpretation of program area, refer phone call or visitor to correct program staff.)
• Monitor and track status of program activities.
• Monitor multiple budgets and purchasing tasks. Maintains the annual CAS Block Grant budget. Serves as the liaison to the CAS Accounts Payable office. Manages disbursing orders for sub-accounts for departments within Student Affairs.
• Prepare responses to letters concerning program, policies and procedures for own or other's signature.
• Review outgoing correspondence for proper grammatical usage, clarity, factual correctness, compliance with policy, program information and conformance to instructions. Ensure that appropriate background material is attached.
• Design, set up and maintain files (including electronic) of correspondence/documents, code and file material, search for requested material and periodically purge obsolete material after the mandated seven-year history for disposal. Creates records of police reports, incident reports, hospital transport forms and documentary evidence included in appropriate disciplinary case files. Assigns federal Clery Report designation where applicable.
• Schedule meetings and maintain calendar.
• Make travel arrangements and prepare travel vouchers.
• Arrange disciplinary hearings, committee meetings and conferences; assemble and coordinate background materials for hearings, meetings and conferences. Responsible for confirmation letters to all parties (including students, students’ advocates, University Police Officers and committee members) and preparation of file to be reviewed.
• Generates analytical reports for annual compliance mandates: Clery Report, Title IX reports, domestic violence reporting, 129A, and other state and campus requests.
• Processes Dean’s Certification forms and letters for New Paltz students and alumni who are required to report their disciplinary history. Responds to requests for student applicant disciplinary history from the following offices: Study Abroad, Student Development, Residence Life, Student Activities and Union Services, EOP and the Scholar’s Mentorship Program.
• Serves as a liaison between the Dean of Students and the Office of the Registrar to designate holds on student academic records, and request permanent transcript notation for violations that mandate such notation.
• Transmit instructions from supervisor to appropriate staff orally, in writing or electronically and follow up to see that instructions are followed and deadlines are met.
• Prepare reports using statistical and narrative information. Analyze information and make recommendations.
• Organize the flow of paper in the office.
• Based on personal observations of the need for procedural changes or modifications in the office, implement or suggest new or revised procedures.
• Develop, maintain and update office procedure manuals.
• Maintain inventory and requisition office supplies.
• Review forms used by the organizational units, suggest changes and draft new forms.
• Orient staff to office and agency procedures.
• This position may supervise clerical staff in the future, including overseeing the hiring process, assigning work, identifying training needs and training, reviewing and evaluating work.
Qualifications: Two years of satisfactory secretarial experience; or satisfactory completion of a two-year course in secretarial science from a business school registered with NYS Education Department (SED) or from a NYS community college or technical institute recognized by SED as following acceptable educational practices; or a satisfactory combination of education and experience.
Contact Information: Application Procedure: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume or application to: State University of New York at New Paltz-Attn: Human Resources-1 Hawk Drive New Paltz, NY 12561 Fax: (845) 257-3956 or send by e-mail: ClassifiedEmployment@newpaltz.edu
To download an application: http://www.newpaltz.edu/media/human-resources/employment_appl_fill_3-2017.pdf
Please include Search #C17-69 with all application materials.
Deadline: November 30, 2017
Other important information about this vacancy: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. SUNY New Paltz is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator. If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call Human Resources at (845) 257-3171.
Web Site: www.newpaltz.edu/hr/jobs.html
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.