SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Faculty)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Budget Title: Assistant Professor
Local Title: Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
Posting Date: November 13, 2017
Duties: SUNY New Paltz is seeking a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor with a specialization in or significant training and/or experience in school counseling to teach in its Counseling Graduate Program (housed within the Psychology Department). This position will start August 2018. The successful candidate will contribute to M.S. programs in school and mental health counseling, teach courses in school counseling and mental health counseling, share responsibility for coordinating/overseeing school counseling placements, and engage in committee work. Specific obligations for this position include:
• Training counseling students.
• Teaching courses in school counseling and mental health counseling such as Counseling Skills, Counseling Theories, Ethics & Professional Identity, Practicum in School Counseling, Internship in School Counseling, Assessment, and Psychopathology.
• Active program of scholarly research and publications.
• Supervising/monitoring students in School Counseling practicum and internship courses.
• Student advising.
• Program, departmental, university-wide and professional service.
Qualifications: • Required: Doctoral degree in counselor education, preferably from a CACREP-accredited program, or related doctoral degree and full-time faculty employment as a member in a counselor education program for a minimum of one full academic year before July 1, 2013. Excellent ABD candidates with a firm date of completion, preferably by July 1, 2018, will be considered.
• Required: Evidence of teaching effectiveness
• Required: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to build successful professional and mentoring relationships
• Strongly Preferred: Certified or eligible for certification as a school counselor in New York State. Counselor Educators who are licensed or license eligible as a Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) will be considered if they have training and experience within the discipline of school counseling
• Preferred: Record of publishing and/or presenting counseling-related peer-reviewed research and evidence of future research potential
Contact Information: Electronic submission required. Candidates are required to submit a cover letter, CV, full data from student evaluations of courses (if available) and a publication (URL accepted). Professional references provided by applicant will receive an email with link to upload reference letter. To apply, please visit https://jobs.newpaltz.edu
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled, priority given to those received by 12/15/17.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity or protected veteran status. Candidates who bring diverse cultural experience and who are especially qualified to mentor and advise all members of our diverse student population are especially encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.