SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Student Activities & Union Services
Budget Title: Staff Associate
Local Title: Director of Campus Media Center
Posting Date: November 6, 2017
Duties: administration, supervision and management of both professional and student personnel, programs, budget, and policies related to student media which includes the student newspaper (Oracle), radio station (WFNP), and the television station (WNPC-TV). The Center for Student Media provides students with hands on experience and training in journalistic techniques, radio broadcasting, television production, and business practices. The Director of CSM will provide support, guidance, and consultation to student media organizations, as well as collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for oversight and management of the Student Media Center business operations including budget, services, technology, equipment/supplies and various licensing contracts.
- Oversight and management of compliance and best practice as it pertains to media/FCC law, ethics, technology, and various licensing contracts as well as overall best practices to staff and students
- Supervise and evaluate Assistant Director and Graduate Assistant
- Recruit, train, and advise student media participants (approximately 75 per year) by providing program support services, guidance in media operations, critiques/evaluations and assessment of student work activities
- Provide high impact, experiential learning opportunities for students in related majors and prepare students for post-graduate employment including opportunities to educate and build awareness of ethics, laws, regulations and best practices of media
- Utilize assessment tools to evaluate program effectiveness and student learning outcomes in order to provide programs that enhance student educational and employment experiences
- Provide service to constituents by maintaining associated websites
- Serve as a liaison between the Student Media Center, campus, and surrounding community
• B.A. in Communication, Higher Education/Student Personnel, or related field
• Two to four years of experience in broadcast and print media, with a preference for individuals who have demonstrated experience working with students in this field
• Basic understanding of audio/video production, broadcast and production studio configurations
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud
• The ability to communicate effectively and work professionally and collegially with diverse groups of people
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities effectively
• Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations and a willingness to serve as Chief Operator of a fully licensed non-commercial education FM radio station
• Demonstrated commitment to student development
• Supervisory experience
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Please apply by visiting
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
This position offers full New York State benefits, which are among the most comprehensive in the nation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
Web Site: jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.