SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Dean - Education
Budget Title: Sr. Staff Assistant
Local Title: Coordinator of Field Experiences
Posting Date: October 10, 2017
Duties: The Office of Field Experiences in The School of Education at SUNY New Paltz invites applications for the position of Coordinator of Field Experiences. Educators and policy makers have affirmed the importance of field experience in the education of future teachers and education leaders. Implementation of these experiential elements is the task of The Office of Field Experiences (OFE). Directly reporting to the Dean of the School of Education, the coordinator of this office, with the assistance of a secretary and office assistant, manages all aspects of student teaching placement and oversees two part-time school-university liaisons, one for early childhood/childhood education and one for adolescence education, who are responsible for placing students in fieldwork.
• Administration of all field experience placements for teacher education candidates in Early Childhood and Childhood Education, Adolescence Education, Special Education, and TESOL as well as for clinical candidates in Communication Disorders
• Maintain effective collaborative relationships between the Office of Field Experiences and personnel from school districts, schools, and community education service providers and ensuring high quality field experiences
• Exploration of opportunities for building new relationships with appropriate school districts, schools, and community education service providers to develop and maintain additional field experience and student teaching partnerships
• Continuously improve field experience placement processes and materials for all stakeholders (i.e., teacher education candidates, faculty, local school personnel, including administrators, teachers and school support staff)
• Active participation in the academic program review process, working in collaboration with the School of Education department chairs, academic program coordinators, assistants to the dean and department support staff
• Supervision of secretarial support staff, school-university liaisons, and student assistants (i.e., work study and graduate assistants)
• Maintain productive and professional communication among teacher candidates, cooperating teachers, university supervisors, and university faculty and staff regarding both system-level field experiences process and individual placements
• Manage the fiduciary processes to compensate cooperating teachers and reimburse faculty field experience supervisors and Office of Field Experiences staff
• Effectively communicate status of field experience placements and outcomes to relevant stakeholders in a timely manner
• Master’s Degree in Education or related field
• Minimum of five years teaching and/or P-12 administrative experience
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Familiarity with the role of field experiences in high quality teacher preparation
• Ability to effectively manage the complex processes and procedures of a dynamic office environment with a moderate degree of autonomy
• Ability to effectively collaborate with multiple stakeholders
• Proficiency with information and data management applications, including Microsoft Office products (with specific proficiency in Excel and/or Access) and a reasonable command of web-based information portals
• Certificate of Advanced Study in Educational Administration or Doctorate in Education or related field
• University experience
• Experience with the multiple demands of the field experience placement process
• Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining working relationships among internal and external stakeholders
• Familiarity with the New York State Education Department’s field experience requirements for teacher certification
• Awareness of research on field experiences and their role in high quality teacher preparation
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Please apply by visiting
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson This position offers full New York State benefits, which are among the most comprehensive in the nation. River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender, gender identity or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
Web Site: jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/752
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.