SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Office of Communication & Marketing
Budget Title: Staff Associate
Local Title: Media Relations Manager
Posting Date: March 4, 2014
Duties: The State University of New York at New Paltz, a highly competitive, four-year comprehensive college of about 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, invites applications for the position of Media Relations Manager.
SUNY New Paltz, a well-regarded public college nationally, delivers an extraordinary number of undergraduate majors in business, liberal arts and sciences, engineering, fine and performing arts and education and serves as the foremost graduate school in the region.
The Media Relations Manager coordinates the activities for New Paltz’s media relations, serves as the college’s formal spokesperson, executive communicator, and principal media liaison to provide counsel and advice on major reputational issues and serve to enhance the college’s reputation. The primary purposes of this position are to: plan and direct external communication activities for the college in alignment with and support of the college’s mission, vision and goals; enhance the reputation and raise the national profile of the college through external communication; and defending the college’s reputation through effective crisis communications.
The Media Relations Manager helps advance the college’s messaging to a variety of constituents and is responsible for producing a high quality of work while achieving a high level of client service. The position requires 24/7 availability to handle emergencies and an ability to work a flexible schedule, including long hours, nights and weekends.
This exciting position is responsible for promoting the New Paltz brand; increasing institutional visibility; and integrating internal and external communications, marketing and media. We require a comprehensive communication and integrated marketing program which is not only responsive to changing events and developments, but which also anticipates opportunities to promote and support faculty, programs and institutional priorities.
Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree required.
• Seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in media relations, communication and marketing, serving as the spokesperson and primary media liaison for a comprehensive organization.
• Knowledge and active use of communication, promotional and marketing principles and social media.
• Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills in AP style.
• Experienced with multiple electronic communication methods.
• Ability to develop and monitor media schedules.
• Demonstrated organizational ability that allows the incumbent to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines and to establish goals and workload priorities.
• A track record of working successfully with creative professionals.
• Analytical creative problem solver who can exercise sound judgment and make quick decisions.
• Proven team player.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects, clients, and deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively under constant pressure of deadlines and ability to shift focus quickly as priorities change or situations demand.
• Must have the ability to develop effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, alumni, media, and other key publics.
• Photography skills desired.
• Higher education experience preferred.
• A commitment to the role of higher education in society, sensitive to the mission of higher education and understanding of the culture of a public institution.
This position requires strong strategic thinking and planning skills; superior writing and editing skills; ability to work efficiently and accurately on deadline; sound judgment; confident demeanor; leadership and management capabilities, including motivating, mentoring and developing interns or staff assigned to work on projects; project management skills; ability to work on wide range of projects simultaneously; teamwork; ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds; an understanding of web strategies and social media, and a command of electronic communication methods including content management systems.
Applications will be accepted only from US citizens or permanent residents.
Contact Information: Please note search number P13-07 on all materials submitted in connection with this search. Send your letter of application, resume, writing samples and/or porfolio and the names and contact information of three business references to:
SUNY New Paltz
Search # P13-07
Media Relations Manager
1 Hawk Drive, HR/HAB 203
New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications will also be accepted via email to email@example.com (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).
Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.