SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Office of Communication & Marketing
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Local Title: Social Media Manager
Posting Date: January 9, 2013
Duties: The Social Media Manager is an experienced social media and engagement strategist with a proven track record of providing fully realized social media strategies, responsible for creating, implementing and driving new campaigns, as well as analyzing and optimizing current initiatives across a variety of platforms. This position will develop and manage the processes and technologies that support the collection, managing, and publishing of information via social media platforms. The ideal candidate is a seasoned expert using and interacting on a variety of social media platforms, and can articulate creative strategies for generating buzz, increasing traffic, and fostering a community online. The Social Media Manager will demonstrate strong insights into emerging developments in marketing communication, including social media, user-generated content and relationship marketing. They must possess the proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with key social media audiences, ie: fans, followers, influencers and bloggers. Critically, this individual must be experienced in using tracking tools and research methods to measure success in all areas.
The candidate will be expected to boost brand awareness, engagement and reputation through monitoring, managing, and creating community engagement within the college’s social channels and communication tactics. They will be expected to coordinate with campus colleagues, offices and divisions to develop an overall social media strategy, incorporating the use of student content specialists and a team of content providers to help maintain the college’s social media platforms. The Social Media Manager will possess strong interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills. Organizational and project management experience with attention to details, and an ability to multi-task with a customer service oriented demeanor required. Superior attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills required.
The Social Media Manager must be an organized communicator who can set priorities, multitask, problem solve, project track, meet deadlines, collaborate and contribute to overall team objectives. He or she must demonstrate: integrity; the capacity to appropriately balance and prioritize work needs; respect for others; a collaborative spirit; the desire for intellectual growth; and, creativity. The Social Media Manager must demonstrate the ability to adapt to and present well the New Paltz "voice." The Social Media Manager is a member of the Office of Communication and Marketing team within the Division of the President.
• Strategize, plan and execute a regular social media marketing plan across all social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn and any other relevant social networks) that align with institutional goals, directives, and initiatives.
o Ensure that all marketing content plans are fully integrated with other institutional marketing initiatives and objectives
• Manage the day-to-day college social media activities. Applicant will be expected to respond to inquiries and comments and facilitate discussions between students and/or
other administrators in a timely and professional, friendly manner.
• Create a wide variety of marketing content, including blogs posts, marketing copy for social media outlets, online contests, interactive graphics, and videos
o Work with multiple internal constituents to create compelling content for the universities’ blogs and other social media outlets.
• Create and maintain a daily itemized content plan. This plan will include detailed instructions for items to be executed across all appropriate social media channels.
• Continuously monitor and track all social activity across all channels. Reports on effectiveness of strategy based on analytics data will be expected each academic semester.
Qualifications: • Bachelor's degree in Communication, Marketing, New Media or Public Relations is preferred
• 3-5 of experience in Communication & Marketing field, with at least 2 years experience in new media management.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Tacit knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite products
• Graphic design and/or video production experience preferred
• Proven understanding of social media and its role in higher education.
• Strong understanding of online behaviors and, emerging trends with proven understanding of how they can be applied in a higher education marketing context
• Experience in a high-pressure, professional communication environment in a capacity that assists and supports senior team members
• Solid understanding of social media platforms, digital marketing, brand strategy, public relations, analytics, SEO, SEM, and monitoring tools.
• Excellent organizational skills
• Attention to detail, superior proofreading, research and fact-checking ability are critical
• Must be able to work with creative teams and must be able to work well with a diverse spectrum of colleagues
Applications will be accepted only from US Citizens or permanent residents.
Contact Information: Please note search number P12-40 on all materials submitted in connection with this search. Send your letter of application, resume, writing samples and/or porfolio and the names and contact information of three business references to:
SUNY New Paltz
Search # P12-40
Social Media Manager
1 Hawk Drive, HR/HAB 203
New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications will also be accepted via email to email@example.com (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).
Deadline: Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.