SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Residence Life
Budget Title: Resident Hall Director (3 positions)
Local Title: Complex Director (3 positions)
Posting Date: November 26, 2012
Duties: The Complex Director reports directly to an Assistant Director of Residence Life. The Complex Director supervises and coordinates the activities of one residence hall and serves on a functional team within the department.
1. Directly supervise the Resident Assistants in the building which you are assigned. Provide training, support, and conduct evaluations of staff.
2. Oversee the development and coordination of community development, which includes cultural, educational and social programs for the hall, thus addressing the needs and concerns of the community.
3. Counsel and advise individual students in the broad areas of academic, vocational, and personal guidance. Provide training and data to staff to facilitate their ability to provide counseling within the limits of their trained capabilities.
4. Actively advise hall government and assist them by developing programs that enhance their leadership development.
5. Facilitate a Social Issues class and participate in student retention efforts.
6. Serve as a member of a departmental functional team - Administrative Operations, Leadership Development, Program Development, Assessment, Advancement, or Judicial. Assist in the recruitment and selection of new professional and paraprofessional staff.
7. Consistently enforce Federal, State and College regulations within the hall and across campus.
8. Assist in the development and accomplishment of goals and priorities for the division, department and residence hall.
9. Any and all additional tasks and responsibilities as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Director of Residence Life.
The Complex Director is responsible for the operation of one residence hall of not more than 300 students, as well as specialized departmental responsibilities for a residential program housing approximately 3,000 students. This is a ten month, live-in position.
Qualifications: 1. Varied residence hall staff experience.
2. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement residence hall programming, community building, and in-service training for staff.
3. Evidence of strong administrative skills, being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
4. Demonstrated ability to interact and work well with staff and students of diverse interests and backgrounds.
5. Bachelor's Degree required. Relevant hall experience preferred. Master's Degree desirable.
Applications will be accepted from only US citizens or permanent residents.
Contact Information: Please note search number P12-37 on all materials submitted in connection with this search. Send your letter of application, resume and the names and contact information of three business references to:
SUNY New Paltz
Search # P12-37
Complex Director Search
1 Hawk Drive, HR/HAB 203
New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications will also be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).
Deadline: Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: Excellent state and union benefits, apartment, and meal plan.
We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.