SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Facilities Operations
Budget Title: Staff Assistant
Local Title: Access Control Support Tech
Posting Date: October 30, 2012
Duties: The college is seeking a qualified individual to properly manage and plan for the technical and non-technical aspects of various access control and security systems that are in place on the campus. This person must be knowledgeable in access control hardware and participate in ongoing planning for campus building upgrades which includes participating in the review of plans and design for new construction and major renovations on campus. They are expected to split their time between administrative and field work that will include the following:
• Update database entries for security permission, electronic lock changes and employee adds/moves and changes
• Diagnose hardware failures, communication problems, programming issues, work with vendors and telecom staff on hardware and wiring troubles.
Specific duties include:
• Work with the campus locksmith to overhaul the current key / access request process; bring order to the hierarchy in building / room access requests; define the structure and implement an approval process granting access
• Coordinate hardware and software upgrades as well as new installations with campus and non-campus personnel
• Day to day management of the Millennium access control system currently in place on campus. Manage system and server issues working with telecom and network support as necessary. Work with UPD on issues and problems related to system functionality.
• Primary contact for residence life staff for hall access concerns and Solitaire lock updating.
• Work with campus ID services to resolve daily ID card issues
• Troubleshoot and isolate access hardware communication/electrical problems
Qualifications: Required Qualifications:
• A bachelor’s degree in electronics, electrical technology, computer programming or related field.
• Must be familiar with basic electronic components and their functionality as well as installation of wire according to structured wiring technique.
• Applicable programming experience.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Applications will be accepted only from US citizens or permanent residents.
• Installation, programming, troubleshooting hardware and software packages
• TCP/IP end-device networking
• CCTV installation experience
• Experience writing technical documentation
• Familiarity with key card access systems such as Millenium
• Copper Ethernet wiring and low voltage wiring installation experience
Contact Information: Send letter of application, resume, and contact information of 3 professional references to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).
SUNY New Paltz
Chair, Access Control Support Tech Search
Human Resources, HAB 203B
1 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, New York 12561
Please note search number P12-29 on all materials submitted.
Deadline: Applications accepted until the position is filled
Other important information about this vacancy: We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html.