| Blackboard | Hawkmail | Library | Zimbra

A-Z Index | Contact Us | People-Finder

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

Office of Human Resources and Affirmative Action

Classified Staff Handbook

The Human Resources Office at SUNY New Paltz has prepared the following information for the classified service staff of the college, and their supervisors. The information contained within complies with all SUNY, New York State, Department of Civil Service and union contracts. If you have questions about any of the information herein, please contact the Human Resources Office by calling 845-257-3171 or write directly to the Associate Director of Human Resources at

We reserve the right to correct any errors that may be contained in this material.

Return to Human Resources Home Page

Table of Contents

Civil Service Policies

Civil Service Status

The Classified service has positions that are designated as competitive, non-competitive, labor and exempt. Position Classification Standards (job descriptions), approved by the Department of Civil Service, are maintained in the Human Resources Office and can be reviewed by employees.

Competitive Class

Positions in the competitive class of Civil Service must be filled by competitive examination. The only exceptions to this policy are made in temporary and special cases described below. There are three major categories of appointments to competitive positions: Temporary, Provisional and Permanent.


Temporary appointments are made as follows:

  • to fill the position of a permanent employee on leave of absence
  • to fill a position for a short period of time pending the appointment of someone else who will fill the position permanently
  • to fill a position for a short period of time to carry out a short term project.

Provisional appointments are made to fill a position for which no appropriate eligible list exists at the time. Provisional appointees must meet the minimum qualifications for the position as stated in the Civil Service Classification Standard. In order to obtain permanent status, employees must take and pass the appropriate examination when it is held and rank sufficiently high to be appointed.

Permanent appointments are given to individuals who have been chosen from lists established by competitive examination. The individual's exam grade must rank among the top three of the individuals who express an interest in the position after canvass and interviews.

Civil Service examinations are scheduled and administered by the State Department of Civil Service. Test announcements are posted in the HAB basement and are also retained at the Human Resources office. Test applications are available in Human Resources.

Non-Competitive and Labor Class

Positions in these categories are not filled through examination, but by open recruitment, training and experience. These appointments can be temporary or permanent depending on the nature of the position. Individuals interested in applying for one of these positions should complete a job application or bid sheet.

Exempt Class

Exempt class refers to positions that are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act Overtime provision. Currently, New Paltz has no exempt classified positions.

Position Classification

Position classification is the means by which a job, comprising specific duties and responsibilities, is analyzed and placed into a class or title. A "classification" or "class" is made up of jobs or positions containing similar duties and responsibilities. A class of jobs is allocated to a particular salary grade on the basis of several factors including difficulty and complexity of work, relationships to other classes of work and the market value of the job. Market value is the price paid by employers other than the State for similar work.


Position reclassifications are made when a position's job duties more accurately fit another title. Employees may request reclassification of their position through their supervisor. The supervisor and employee are encouraged to discuss this with the Human Resources office before filing any formal requests. Employees also may request a reclassification directly through Civil Service. Forms for that purpose are available in Human Resources.

Reclassification (or reallocation) does not mean that the employee will automatically receive a higher title or salary. Unless the employee is on an appropriate eligible list and reachable for appointment, it is possible that he/she could lose that position if it is reclassified. For further information on the details of reclassification, please contact Human Resources.

Probationary Period

The probationary period is part of the selection process for permanent employees. (There is no probationary period for temporary or provisional appointments.) It provides an opportunity for the department to evaluate an employee's performance in areas not evaluated during other parts of the selection process. The probationary period can last up to one year. Employees are evaluated periodically during this period, usually every two months. These evaluations will indicate how well the employee is fulfilling the demands of the position. If the performance is not satisfactory, the employee can be dismissed at any time during probation, after eight weeks.

Employees receive written notice of the length of their probation when they are appointed. Written notification is issued when the decision is made to make the employee permanent, or to terminate employment.


It is the policy of the State of New York to fill higher grade positions by promotion from the lower grades when possible.

In most cases within the competitive class, one must take an examination in order to be considered for a promotional position. Ranking on the examination and seniority will be taken into consideration for the promotion rating.

In the labor and non-competitive classes, promotion is based on a combination of seniority, demonstrated ability and performance evaluation.

When promoted, employees serve another probationary period.


All promotional titles may not exist at SUNY New Paltz, but may be available at other state agencies.


Examination bulletins are posted officially on the bulletin board in the basement of HAB. If you have questions about an examination, or would like to apply for one, please contact Human Resources.


Job vacancies for promotional positions and all college position vacancies are posted on the bulletin board in the basement of HAB.


Reassignment Within the College

In addition to applying for promotional opportunities, classified service employees may apply for reassignment to another department on campus when a vacancy in their same job title is posted. Management also has the right to reassign an employee to a similar position in another department within the College. Further information on job posting may be obtained at Human Resources.



Within the first year after resigning, employees who have held a permanent competitive position may interview for a job in the same title. If selected for the job, the employee may be reinstated without taking an examination. Once reinstated, employees must serve another probationary period.


If more than one year has elapsed, reinstatement can occur only with action of the Civil Service Commission.


Reduction in Staff

It is possible than an employee may be demoted or laid off for reasons of economy or because of other circumstances which do not reflect on the performance of the employee. In demotions and layoffs, the least senior appointees in State service are the first to be dismissed. This process involves "bumping," or taking a job with the same title, held by someone with less seniority. Bumping rights and procedures are specified by Civil Service Law.


If a permanent employee is demoted or laid off under these circumstances, the Civil Service Department will place his or her name on a preferred eligible list for appointment to a position similar to the one the employee formerly held. It may also be possible for the employee to transfer immediately to another position if a vacancy exists.



Code of Ethics

Employees of the State of New York must follow the Code of Ethics set forth in the Public Officers Law. Public employees are bound by legal restrictions with respect to certain activities and interests of a private nature. There is an expectation that public employees will maintain the highest principle of conduct on the job.


For specific restrictions related to the Code of Ethics, please refer to provisions of Sections 73 through 78 of the Public Officers Law. This booklet is available in Human Resources.


Performance Evaluation

Performance Evaluation System

Performance evaluation is important to you, your supervisor and the College. Your supervisor's appraisal of your work performance is, therefore, a constant process.


All employees have their job performance evaluated under established performance evaluation systems. Within the first two weeks of employment, your supervisor is responsible for creating a Performance Program which defines the duties and responsibilities of your job, and the standards or objectives you may be reasonably be expected to meet. This document is used for the Performance Evaluation. At least once a year you will receive a written Performance Evaluation and an overall rating of satisfactory or unsatisfactory, based on your work performance. An appeal process exists for ratings that are "unsatisfactory." This is described below.


Grievance for Unsatisfactory Ratings

Employees represented by CSEA or PEF who receive an unsatisfactory rating may seek to have it raised by appealing the rating. Employees may obtain a Performance Evaluation Appeals Form from the Human Resources office. This form must be filed within 15 calendar days after the date the rating was received.


The first step of the appeal process is at the college level, where the "Agency Appeals Board" reviews the appeal form submitted by the employee. This board will make a decision on the appeal. If the board denies the appeal, the employee has 15 calendar days in which to appeal to the Statewide Performance Evaluation Appeals Board. More information is available on this process through CSEA, or Human Resources.


Employees represented by Council 82 have 14 calendar days to file an appeal of a performance evaluation rating. As with the other bargaining units, the first step of the appeal process is local.

If that appeal is denied, the employee has 14 calendar days to file the step two process. There is also a step three process which is handled by a statewide board. More information is available at Human Resources, or from the Council 82 representative.



Standards of performance and conduct must be maintained for effective management of the College. If an employee fails to meet these standards, disciplinary action may be necessary. Disciplinary procedures have been established pursuant to Civil Service Law and the negotiated Agreements between the State and employee unions. For specific information on disciplinary procedures please contact Human Resources, your Union representative, or consult your copy of the appropriate union Agreement.


Insubordination is intentional and willful refusal to accept the valid authority of a supervisor. The more common forms of insubordination are refusal to accept work assignments or refusal to comply with an operational order such as wearing safety equipment. Supervisors have the responsibility for insuring that employees understand that they have been given a directive. Employees must comply with orders even though they may disagree with the supervisor. The principle of "work now, grieve later" applies in these situations. However, there are limited exceptions to this rule when the order given is unconstitutional or illegal, or violates a personal right, or where compliance might pose a safety threat.



Attendance Guidelines

Maintenance of a good attendance record is very important. The campus attaches considerable importance to reliable attendance, and it can be a significant factor in probation completion and promotion decisions.


Attendance Records

Employees are required to maintain a record of attendance on forms designed for that purpose. It serves as the basis for payment. Attendance records must be submitted to the Payroll Office on time, or paychecks will be held. Deliberate falsification of attendance records is a basis for discipline.


Time and Attendance Program

SUNY New Paltz has a Time and Attendance Program designed to ensure the proper use of sick leave accruals. Employees become participants in the program when instances of sick leave abuse or misuse become evident. Participation in the program involves a counseling meeting between the employee, the supervisor, and Human Resources. Monitoring of sick leave usage follows. If no improvement takes place, the employee may be required to submit medical documentation for all sick leave absences. Failure to submit medical documentation could result in disciplinary action. More information on the Time and Attendance Policy is available at the Human Resources Office.


Work Schedules

The basic work week for full-time employees is either 37.5 or 40 hours. Work schedules are based on operational requirements. Supervisors are responsible for setting and informing employees of starting and ending times. Changes in an employee's basic work week and/or day can be made upon the supervisor's recommendation and with the approval of the Director of Human Resources. Advance notification is not required during emergencies.


Those employees whose basic work week includes Saturday and Sunday will be given time off (pass days) in lieu of time worked on Saturday or Sunday.



Employees must take a daily meal break of 30 minutes in length. Failure to take a meal break does not permit an employee to shorten the workday, not does it entitle the employee to compensatory time or overtime payment.


Breaks of 15 minutes before mid-shift and 15 minutes after mid-shift are also permissible. These breaks cannot be combined to take a longer break, to lengthen the lunch break or to leave work early.



Supervisors are responsible for telling employees when and where to report to work. Employees who arrive at the work station late, either at the start of the workday or after the lunch break, are tardy. Tardiness may be subject to a specific schedule of penalties as established by the Department of Civil Service and union Agreements.


Notification of Unplanned Absences

If you cannot report to work, you are expected to personally contact your supervisor as promptly as possible, but no later than two hours after the start of your work day.


In case of emergencies for those whose shift occurs other than normal working hours, and the supervisor cannot be reached, please call the Heating Plant (x3328) and ask to have a message related to the supervisor. If there is no answer at the Heating Plant, please contact Campus Police at x2222 to leave a message for your supervisor.


The Maintenance/Custodial Department has specific procedures which apply to notification of supervisors on shift operations. Employees should be familiar and comply with these procedures. In case of emergencies for individuals whose shift occurs during other than normal working hours and the supervisor cannot be reached by phone, call Campus Police (x2222) and ask to have a message delivered to the supervisor. The supervisor will make the initial determination whether or not to approve use of leave credits.


Compensatory Time

Employees with a basic work week of 37.5 hours who are required to work extra hours, will receive compensatory time for up to 2.5 hours per week, not extra pay. The compensatory time accrued may be used, with supervisor's approval, as vacation or personal leave credits would be used. Compensatory time must be used in minimum units of ¼ hours (15 minutes), and all the compensatory time accrued must be used by the close of the fiscal year following the fiscal year in which it was earned.


Compensatory time accruals go with employees when they transfer to another SUNY institution. Employees leaving State service or moving to another State position outside of SUNY, will be paid for unused compensatory leave credits up to a maximum of 30 days.



Every attempt is made to schedule the workload so that the need for overtime is kept to a minimum. However, situations may arise which make overtime unavoidable, such as staff illness, special projects, emergencies, etc.


When operating needs require employees to work overtime, the following procedure will be followed: Overtime will be offered to workers in the appropriate titles in seniority order. Employees have the right to refuse overtime. If enough employees don't voluntarily accept an overtime assignment, mandatory overtime is required. Mandatory overtime is assigned starting with the least senior employee in an appropriate title, and moving up in seniority.


Hours worked in excess of a 40 hour week constitute overtime for which eligible persons are entitled to overtime compensation at one and one half times your regular rate of pay, subject to the rules established by the Division of the Budget. Refer to your bargaining unit Agreement for information about when overtime payments must be made. All overtime must be approved in advance by your supervisor.


Depending upon your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for an additional cash payment for meals if you work a minimum amount of overtime. This information is contained in your bargaining unit Agreement.


Annual Leave

Annual leave (vacation) is accrued by all classified employees employed at 50% or more, except those paid on an hourly basis. (See section on Hourly employees for further information.) New full-time employees earn annual leave credits at the rate of 1/2 day per biweekly pay period, but they are not credited and cannot be used until completion of 13 pay periods of employment. At the end of this 13 pay period waiting time (approximately six months), you are credited with approximately 6.5 days of leave. From then on you will earn credits as noted above.


Employees must be in full-pay status for at least 7 days during the 10-day pay period in order to accrue leave. Leave credits are not earned while an employee is on leave without pay (LWOP).


Part-time employees regularly scheduled at 50% or more earn annual leave credits on a pro-rated basis. If you are appointed at 50% (half-time) you will earn 1/4 day of leave per biweekly pay period.


At the completion of each full year of continuous service, employees are credited with additional annual leave accruals as follows:


Completed years of service Additional leave

1 1 day

2 2 days

3 3 days

4 4 days

5 5 days

6 6 days

7 7 days


After seven complete years of service, you earn leave accruals at the rate of 20 days per year. In addition, at the completion of further years of continuous service, you earn additional leave credits according to a schedule determined by your bargaining unit agreement. Check your bargaining unit Agreement for the schedule of additional credits you will receive.


For PEF employees hired after 4/1/88, the following additional leave credits are earned:


Completed years of service Additional Leave

1 0 days

2 0 days

3 3 days

4 4 days

5 5 days

6 6 days

7 7 days


Hourly Employees Annual Leave

Hourly employees are eligible to accrue annual leave under the following circumstances: they work at least 3.75 hours per day, five days per week; OR at leave half-time on a regular schedule, AND they are employed under these circumstances for 19 consecutive pay periods. There are other qualifying criteria. Please contact Human Resources or Payroll for more information.


Accumulation Maximum

You may accumulate up to a total of 40 days of annual leave. Upon separation from state service you will be paid for a maximum of 30 days of accrued leave. See the section on SEPARATION for more information.


Use of Annual Leave credits

Your supervisor must approve your use of annual leave credits in advance.


Sick Leave

Sick leave is accrued by all classified employees employed at 50% or more, except those paid on an hourly basis. (See section on Hourly employees for further information.) New full-time employees earn sick leave credits at the rate of 1/2 day per biweekly pay period, provided they have been in full-pay status for at least 7 days during the pay period. This is the equivalent of 13 sick days per year.


You do not earn leave while on leave without pay (LWOP) or leave with half pay.


Employees begin to earn sick leave accruals immediately, and do not need to fulfill a waiting period before charging accrued sick leave.


Part-time employees regularly scheduled at 50% or more, earn sick leave credits on a pro-rated basis.


PEF-unit full-time employees earn sick leave at the rate of 3.0 hours per biweekly pay period for a total of 10 sick days per year.

Hourly Employees Sick Leave

Hourly employees are eligible to accrue sick leave under the following circumstances: they work at least 3.75 hours per day, five days per week; OR at least half-time on a regular schedule, AND they are employed under these circumstances for 19 consecutive pay periods. There are other qualifying criteria. Please contact Human Resources or Payroll for more information.


Use of Sick Leave Credits

Sick leave is to be used for personal illness or for illness in the employee's immediate family. (See below for information on family illness.) Sick leave may be used for medical, dental or vision appointments. Any planned use of sick leave should be cleared with the supervisor in advance.


Returning to Work after Illness

If sick leave continues for more than four consecutive work days, a Medical Documentation Form with a doctor's signature must be submitted to Human Resources before an employee is authorized to start work. This form affirms that the employee is able and authorized to return to work with no restrictions.


The College reserves the right to have an employee examined by a state physician prior to returning to work. All medical information is confidential and should be submitted ONLY to the Human Resources Office.


Sick Leave at Half-Pay

Permanent Employees may be granted sick leave at half pay for personal illness. This is granted for employees under the following circumstances: they have completed probation; have more than one year of service; and have used all their sick, personal and annual leave accruals and overtime credits. The duration of sick leave at half pay is determined by their years of permanent service. Employees should consult their union Agreements for further information. In general, employees may be eligible to receive one biweekly pay period of sick leave at half-pay for each completed six months of permanent service. Satisfactory medical documentation is required.


Family Illness or Death


A maximum of 15 days per calendar year of sick leave may be charged for illness or death of a family member. A family member is any relative or relative in-law, or any person with whom an employee has bee make his/her home. A request for leave due to death in the family cannot be denied if properly verified.


Personal Leave

Most full-time classified employees receive 5 days of personal leave per year. Personal leave is not cumulative and must be used by close of business on the day preceding the anniversary date, or it is lost. Please consult your bargaining unit Agreement for information on scheduling and use of personal leave.


Holiday Leave

All state agencies observe twelve paid holidays. They are: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on a Sunday, it will be observed the following Monday. If it falls on a Saturday, the State has the option to grant another day off or to credit you with a day of Holiday leave. The State, at its option, may designate up to two of the above holidays as floating holidays each contract year.


Campus operations are governed by the academic calendar which sometimes requires that some offices and essential services continue even on designated holidays. In situations such as these you will receive either a compensatory day or payment for the holiday worked depending upon an option you are asked to select on a form each April.


Human Resources distributes a holiday list each year.


Court Attendance

For required court attendance, as a member of a jury or by subpoena, you will be granted leave with pay.


Proof of such required court attendance is required. Submit court notifications prior to the absence. You must submit court certification to verify the absences.

If you are a party to a court action, you must charge absences to leave credits.

State Civil Service Examinations

Time taken for state civil service exams does not need to be charged. Individuals on the night shift receive eight hours off immediately preceding the start time of the examination. Employees are required to charge time taken for federal or local government examinations. All arrangements must be made with your supervisor in advance.


Other examinations

All college employees are permitted to take examinations for the Regents External Degree Program, the College Proficiency Examination Program, and the College Level Examination Program without charging leave accruals.


In addition, employees in PEF-units are permitted as a contract benefit to take one professional licensing examination per year in their discipline without charge to leave credits. In either case, use of this time should be arranged for in advance with the supervisor.


Extraordinary Circumstance

Under extreme circumstances where the continuation of employees on the job would endanger their health and safety, the supervisor and Human Resources Department may reassign employees.


Military Leave

Members of the National Guard, Naval Militia or an organized reserve unit are entitled to leave with pay for up to 30 calendar days (not work days) during one calendar year when they are ordered to perform this essential service. Copies of orders must be filed in Human Resources at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the leave.


Volunteer Firefighters

Absence during normal work hours as a result of performing duties as a volunteer firefighter are not charged to leave credits. Employees must notify their supervisor and receive permission to report to the emergency if it occurs during work hours.


If an emergency occurs during off hours causing an employee to lose rest and time to prepare for work, no charge will be made. A note from the Fire Chief must be presented to the employee's supervisor within 48 hours of the occurrence.


Unpaid Leaves

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 is a federal law that requires employers to provide eligible employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in any calendar year for the following reasons:

  • Birth, adoption or foster placement of a child
  • Illness or serious health condition of a child, spouse or parent of the employee
  • Illness or serious health condition of the employee


Employees eligible for FMLA are those who have worked continuously for the college for a year, having completed at least 1250 working hours within the last year.


Employees must request the leave 30 days in advance (except in emergencies). Medical documentation will be required for all FMLA leaves.


If an employee is charging accruals for an illness or situation that qualifies as FMLA leave, the College will consider the employee to be using FMLA leave (even though it is paid leave.) Employees will be notified in writing if their leave is being counted as FMLA leave.


While on unpaid FMLA leave, employees with health insurance can maintain their coverage by continuing to pay their regular employee share of the insurance premium. Coverages that are provided to the employee at no cost (benefit fund) will continue to be provided at no cost during the FMLA period.


For more information about FMLA, please contact Human Resources.


Child Care Leave

Employees are entitled to child care leave for up to seven months following the date of delivery. (FMLA would be part of this seven month period.) This leave is unpaid unless the employee is authorized to charge sick, annual or personal leave. Additional leave time may be granted at the discretion of the College. Requests for this leave should be submitted in writing to the supervisor and forwarded to Human Resources for final approval.


Absences during pregnancy and following childbirth may be charged to annual, personal or compensatory time. The use of sick leave and sick leave at half pay, however, is limited to the period of time during which the employee is disabled as determined and verified by the employee's physician.


Summer Reduced Work Schedule

Employees may request a reduced summer work schedule. With the permission of the employee's supervisor and depending on operational needs, employees can be granted leave without pay for a number of weeks, or a reduction in work effort (from 100% to 75% for example.) Application forms for this type of leave are available from Human Resources.

Unpaid Leave of Absence

Employees may request a leave of absence without pay for up to one year. This type of leave is usually granted for educational purposes. Approval is based on the operating needs of the department, and reasonable assurance that the employee intends to return to the College upon completion of the leave. The leave must be approved by the Vice President and Human Resources.



All Classified positions are allocated to one of 38 salary grades in the New York State Salary Plan. Each grade has a minimum (hiring) rate, and a maximum salary (job rate). The maximum salary rate is reached through a series of increments which vary according to bargaining unit, amount of time in the grade, and a satisfactory performance evaluation rating.


Increments stop when you reach the maximum salary rate for your grade, but you are still eligible for any across-the-board salary increases negotiated by your union.


Refer to your bargaining unit Agreement for further information on salary increases and a copy of the Salary Grade Schedules.


Payroll Cycle

Classified employees are paid by State check every other Wednesday. When you receive a check, you are being paid for the two week period ending two weeks prior to the date of the check.

This is called a lag payroll system.


Under the lag payroll system, new employees who begin work on the first day of a pay period must wait four weeks before receiving a paycheck. This check will be payment for two weeks work.


An additional five-day payroll lag, initiated in 1991, also affects Classified service workers. For each of the first five paychecks, one day's pay is withheld. After five day's pay have been withheld, the employee begins receiving full checks. The five days pay withheld is repaid to the employee upon separation from state employment.

Processing Payroll

Changes in status that will result in changes to payroll must be submitted to Human Resources no later than three weeks prior to the date of the check to be affected, or the transaction will be delayed. If you have questions on the timing of transactions, please call Human Resources.


Overtime payments are made four weeks after the overtime work has been done.


Payroll Deductions

There are a variety of deductions which may be withheld from your paycheck. Mandatory deductions include state and federal income taxes, FICA, agency shop fees, retirement system contributions. Voluntary deductions include health insurance premiums, savings bond deductions, credit union deductions, United Way deductions, and tax deferred annuity deductions. The paycheck stub explains the deductions on the check. Codes found on the paycheck stub are listed on the back of the paycheck stub. A sample pay stub is attached at the end of this section. It is the responsibility of the employee to review his or her paystub to monitor proper deductions. Questions regarding your paycheck should be addressed to the Payroll Office.


Tax Status

Employees may change their tax status at any time. Tax status is reported by the employee on Federal Tax Form W-4 and New York State Tax Form IT-2104. If you would like to change your withholding rates, you may obtain the forms from the Payroll Office or Human Resources. (Different tax rules apply to non-resident aliens. Please consult with Payroll if you are a non-resident alien.)


Salary Increases

There are two types of salary increases for classified service employees. The first type is a salary increment, paid to employees who have not yet reached the job rate (salary maximum) for their salary grade. These increments are based on the bargaining unit, amount of time in the grade, and a satisfactory performance evaluation rating.


The second type of salary increase is across-the-board raises which are negotiated by the unions. These increases are based on a percentage raise, and are paid to all employees within the bargaining unit. For further information on negotiated across-the-board increases, please contact your union representative or Human Resources.


Direct Deposit of Salary

Employees may choose to receive their salary through direct deposit at a bank, rather than by traditional paycheck. Forms are available at Payroll to enroll in Direct Deposit.

Hudson Heritage Federal Credit Union

Hudson Heritage Federal Credit Union provides its services for employees and students of the college. The Credit Union offers savings and checking accounts, as well as loans for qualified borrowers. For more information about having part or all of your paycheck deposited directly in the credit union, visit their office in HAB 09A.


Paycheck Stub Explanation

Line Number

: the "line" to which you are assigned. This line carries your budget title and salary allocation.

YTD Gross Salary

: Your gross salary paid since January 1. (Year to Date)

YTD Taxes

: Your federal, state and city (if any) taxes paid since January 1. (Year to Date)

YTD Social Security Tax

: FICA tax paid, including Medicare deduction, since January 1. (Year to Date)

Period Ending Date

: The date of the last day of the pay period for which you are being paid.

Gross Pay

: Total of your paycheck before deductions.

Base Pay

: Your annual salary rate.


: Your savings bond deduction, if any.


: Your exemptions claimed and taxes deducted for federal and state income tax.


: Your negotiating (bargaining) unit number.

Retirement Code

: 1 = ERS, New York State Employees Retirement System

Health Insurance

: The code indicates the coverage you have selected. The dollar figure is your health insurance deduction. If the deduction is preceded by the letter N, your health insurance deduction is made before taxes are assessed.


Digits 1-3: 001 Empire Plan

061 CHP

120 Independent Health

060 MVP

210 US Healthcare

220 Wellcare of New York


Digit 4: 1 Individual

2 Family


Fed. Fund

: Your United Way deduction.


: Your Credit Union deduction.

Net Pay

: The amount of your check after deductions.

Add'l Salary

: Any pay adjustments.

Other Deductions

: Includes your Medicare deduction, part of the mandatory FICA taxes, code # 927.



Health Insurance

Eligibility for health insurance is determined by employment status. Full time employees and some part-time employees, (those who will be hired for no less than three months, and work half-time or more) are eligible. There is a mandatory waiting period of 42 days for all new employees, with the exception of PEF represented employees who have a 56 day waiting period.


A percentage of the health insurance premium is paid by the employee through bi-weekly payroll deductions. The remainder of the premium is covered by New York State. Costs for health insurance vary depending on the type of coverage selected (individual or family) and the plan chosen (Empire or HMO.)


Employees who wish to enroll in health insurance may choose from a number of different options. The following options currently exist:

Empire Plan: comprised of Blue Cross/Blue Shield (hospitalization), and Metropolitan (participating provider program)


Health Maintenance Organizations: CHP, Independent Health, MVP, US Health-Care, and WellCare. (Enrollment depends on place of residence.)


Enrollment in Health Insurance is handled by the Benefits Administrator in Human Resources.


Coverage During Unpaid Leaves

Health insurance coverage continues only while you are in paid status. Employees may continue health insurance coverage during periods of leave without pay by paying the full-share rate themselves. Full-share rate includes the regular employee share premium as well as the portion usually contributed by the state.


Employees who separate from state service may be eligible to continue their insurance at the full-share rate through a mechanism created by COBRA legislation.


Health insurance may be continued into retirement for eligible employees.


For information on continuation of benefits, contact Human Resources.


Benefit Fund Coverage

Classified employees may be eligible for prescription, vision and dental plans through the CSEA Benefit Fund. There is no charge for these plans, as the funding is provided by the agency shop fees paid by every bargaining unit member. The spouse and unmarried children under 19 years of age, or full-time students under 25, may be covered under the Benefit Fund plans. There is a 28 day waiting period for new employees.


Classified employees represented by PEF or Council 82 should contact Human Resources for information on prescription, vision and dental coverage.


Vision Plan

Employees are entitled to one vision examination every two years. If a participating provider is used, the cost of the examination and eyeglasses is completely covered. If a non- participating provider is used, the employee pays the bill, and is reimbursed for a portion of the expense. CSEA represented employees must request a vision care voucher directly from the Benefit Fund, before scheduling a vision examination.


Dental Plan

The dental plan consists of a participating dentist program as well as a schedule of covered costs for the use of non- participating dentists.


A schedule of covered dental procedures is available from Human Resources or directly from the Benefit Fund. Dental insurance forms are also available from Human Resources.


Prescription Drug Plan

All eligible classified service employees have prescription coverage either through Benefit fund or through their health insurance. Participants will receive generic drugs by paying only a co-pay. Brand name drugs are covered by the plan if no generic equivalent is available. If a generic drug is available, but the physician prescribes the brand name drug, the employee must pay the difference between the brand name drug price and the generic drug price, plus the co-pay.


When filling a prescription, covered employees should use a participating pharmacy (indicated by the green "PAID" decal in the store window), and show their identification card.


If a member uses a non-participating pharmacy, reimbursement will be available directly from the insurance carrier.


For more information on prescription, dental and vision coverage, contact the CSEA Benefit Fund or Human Resources Office.


Tuition Assistance Programs

Tuition Waivers


Classified employees are eligible to participate in the Employee Tuition Waiver program. Employees may apply for a tuition waiver for no more than 6 credits per semester. Courses must be credit bearing and must be taken at a four-year SUNY institution.


Tuition waivers are processed about a month prior to the beginning of the Fall and Spring semester and prior to the beginning of Summer session. Notices announcing the deadlines are distributed to all employees each semester.


The amount of the tuition waiver depends on the pool of money allocated by SUNY Central to our campus. Because of considerable interest in the program, employees receive a partial tuition waiver. Allocation guidelines are written on the back of the application.


After waiver forms are received they are processed and approvals are sent to the Student Accounts Office.


Forms and guidelines are available at Human Resources.




LEAP is the Labor Education Action Program, designed to provide educational benefits to CSEA represented employees. One course per semester may be taken through the LEAP process. Employees may obtain a LEAP catalog regarding course availability and the application process at Human Resources.



Classified service employees are eligible for participation in the New York State Employees Retirement System.



Participation in a retirement system is mandatory for full-time permanent employees. It is optional for part-time and temporary employees. Employees must contribute 3% of their annual salary toward the retirement account. The state will also contribute on the employee's behalf.


To be eligible to receive retirement benefits from ERS, employees must satisfy the following criteria:


  • 10 years of full-time service credit
  • 62 years of age at retirement for members of Tiers III and IV;
  • or 55 years of age for members of Tiers I and II.


Retirement tiers are groupings based on the year in which the employee was hired:


Tier I Anyone hired prior to 7/1/73

Tier II Anyone hired 7/1/73 through 6/30/76

Tier III Anyone hired 7/1/76 through 8/31/83

Tier IV Anyone after 9/1/83


For more detailed information on the retirement system, please contact Human Resources.


Death Benefits

The Death Benefits available to New York State employees are also generally determined by your date of entry into State service, the particular retirement system of which you are a member, earnings, age and other factors.


You may check your retirement system booklet to determine which Death Benefits are provided. If you need more specific information, contact Human Resources.

Survivor Benefits

The Employees Retirement System provides a Survivor's Benefit Program for both active and retired employees who meet certain specific requirements.


For active employees, this plan is a supplement to the ordinary death benefit payable by the retirement system. It offers assistance to your beneficiaries if they do not qualify for an ordinary benefit payment from the retirement system equal to at least half of your annual salary.


If the ordinary death benefit is less than half of your annual salary, a survivor benefit is payable to bring the total benefit to one-half salary. (The maximum survivor's benefit payable is $10,000.) If the ordinary death benefit exceeds one half the annual salary, no survivor benefit is payable.


Upon completion of 90 days of service, you are automatically eligible. Part-time workers who work at least 20 hours per week or who are paid on an annual salary basis at the rate of $2000 or more per year are eligible.


The beneficiary of a retired SUNY employee would receive a Survivor's Benefit payment of $3000 for employees who retired on or after April 1, 1970. To be eligible, a SUNY employee must have 10 or more years of full-time State service within the last 15 years prior to retirement, and belong to one of the three retirement systems.


The cost of these programs is paid entirely by the State of New York. You may contact Human Resources for additional details on the Survivor's Benefit Program.


Tax Deferred Annuities

Tax Deferred Annuities (TDA) allow employees to invest money in a retirement account before taxes are levied, through payroll deduction. By doing so, employees reduce their taxable income, while saving money for retirement. The money is taxed when it is withdrawn.


There are two tax deferred annuities available to classified employees. They are:

Tax Deferred Accounts (TDA) -- TIAA-CREF


Deferred Compensation Program – Copeland Co.


TDA accounts are administered through the Human Resources Office. The Deferred Compensation plan is administered directly by the investment corporation.


Workers' Compensation

Workers' Compensation benefits are intended to protect employees against a loss of income or employment when they have suffered an on-the-job injury or illness. Workers' compensation also pays medical expenses for such on-the-job injuries or illnesses.


All work related accidents should be reported immediately to the Human Resources Office, and an accident report should be completed. If employees seek medical attention for an injury, they should indicate to the doctor or hospital that it is a Workers' Compensation injury. In these cases, employees should not use their own insurance. Employees must notify Human Resources if they seek medical attention or have any lost time.


Unemployment Insurance

State employees are covered by unemployment insurance. Should you become unemployed, please contact the local Department of Labor office for unemployment insurance information and give them a copy of your termination letter.


Campus Facilities

Employees of SUNY New Paltz are entitled to use of the college facilities. Employees may use the Elting Gymnasium Racquetball Courts, Tennis Courts, Weight Training Room, Basketball Courts and pool. The Sojourner Truth Library facilities are also available. In addition, employees may attend college theatre and arts events. College Auxiliary Services operates the Ashokan Field Campus, located near the Ashokan Reservoir. Employees may make arrangements to utilize the facilities at Ashokan by calling 657-8333.


Employees must show their college identification cards to take advantage of these facilities.



Separation from College Employment

Employees, or their estates, are entitled to cash payment for accrued and unused vacation credits, not in excess of 30 days, when separated from the State service by reason of retirement, resignation, layoff or death, except that no such payment will be made if an employee:


  • is removed from State service as a result of disciplinary action, or
  • resigns after charges of incompetence or misconduct have been served.


In the case of retirement or death, payments for accrued annual leave, overtime and compensatory time credits are usually made two weeks after the last regular paycheck.


In the case of resignation or layoff, payments for accrued leave, overtime and compensatory time credits are usually paid four weeks after the last regular paycheck.


Provision is made for the transfer of credits when employees transfer to another New York State agency, or from Classified service to Unclassified service. According to Section 23.1 of the New York State Attendance Rules, the campus may withhold payment for vacation if an employee resigns without giving WRITTEN NOTICE of resignation at least two weeks prior to the last day of work.


Exit Interviews

Separating employees are required to schedule an exit interview with the Health Benefits Administrator. At this meeting, the employee is provided with all relevant information about benefit termination or continuation, final paychecks, retirement benefits, etc. Keys should be returned to the employee's supervisor prior to the last day of work.


Campus Policies

Academic Policies

The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for the academic policies of the College.

Administrative Policies

The Office of the Vice President for Administration and Finance maintains an Administrative Policies manual. This manual is now available on-line through the Administrative Bulletin Board system. For more information, please contact the Vice president's office.


Affirmative Action Policy

SUNY New Paltz supports Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation. Any person alleging discrimination based on any of the above should contact the Affirmative Action Officer.


AIDS Policy

SUNY New Paltz does not discriminate against persons infected with HIV. Employees with HIV infection must be allowed to continue to work as long as they are able. The College will not tolerate or condone harassment of any individuals, including those persons suspected of having HIV infection.


The College has assembled an advisory board, the New Paltz AIDS Council, to develop, review and evaluate policies and procedures concerning issues of access and non-discrimination that may impact on persons infected with HIV or at risk of being infected. For more information on the College's AIDS policy, please request a copy of the policy from the Affirmative Action Office.


The Americans with Disabilities Act

The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 establish non-discrimination for persons with disabilities. The Rehabilitation Act provides that "no otherwise qualified handicapped individual… shall, solely by reason of his handicap be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal assistance."


In addition, both acts require employers to provide a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant or employee with a disability unless it can be shown that the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the college.


For more information, and the written College policy statement on ADA, please contact the Affirmative Action Office.


Drug Free Workplace Policy

In compliance with the Federal Drug Workplace Act of 1988, the College has adopted a Drug Free Workplace Policy:


The unlawful use, possession, manufacture, dispensation, or distribution of controlled substances in all College work locations is prohibited. Employees who unlawfully manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess, or use a controlled substance will be subject to disciplinary procedures consistent with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements.


Employees must abide by the terms of this statements and must notify the Office of Human Resources of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace, or at a work site, no later than five working days after such conviction.


For further information on this policy, request a copy of the Drug Free Workplace policy from the Human Resources Office.


Health and Safety Committee

The Labor/Management Health and Safety Committee assists the Coordinator of Environmental Health and Safety in maintaining a healthy and safe campus for its employees. The committee identifies and studies problems, and makes recommendations on improving health and safety conditions. Suggestions and concerns should be addressed to this committee by obtaining a form from Human Resources.


ID Cards

Each employee should have a college identification card. These cards are available at the ID Office in the Student Union Building. ID cards are necessary for use of many campus facilities.



Keys to buildings and offices are issued by the Physical Plant Department, with the approval of the appropriate department head and building coordinator.


Keys are assigned to an individual and are not to be loaned or given to other persons. They may not be duplicated. Employees are required to return their keys to their supervisors when they leave college employment.


Some departments require employees to turn in their keys at the end of each shift.


Personnel Files

Employees may review their personnel records by scheduling an appointment with the Human Resources Office (with 24 hours notice.) These records consist of personnel transactions, official correspondence with the employee, performance programs and evaluations. In addition, employees may request to have materials included in their files. Typically, these would be materials which would provide evidence of the employees performance.


Non-Discrimination/Anti-Harassment Policy

Sexual harassment is defined as any act of a sexual nature which is unwanted and meets any one of these conditions:

  • submission is made a condition of employment or academic advancement
  • submission or rejection of the conduct is used as a basis for an employment or evaluative decision.
  • The conduct unreasonably interferes with a person's work or academic performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work or learning environment.


Employees who consider themselves victims of sexual harassment may consult with the Affirmative Action office. They may wish to file a complaint, which must be done within 90 days of the alleged incident. Employees may discuss the issue informally with the Affirmative Action Officer.


For complete information, please contact the Affirmative Action Office for a copy of the Non-Discrimination/Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedures.


Travel and Lodging

Administrative Services maintains regulations regarding employee travel. The College maintains a fleet of state vehicles to be used for authorized travel. Expenses for fuel, tolls and parking incurred while using the state vehicle are chargeable to the State.


Meals and lodging are also covered under certain circumstances when travel is authorized by the College. For details on meal and lodging allowances, please contact Accounts Payable.