SYMPTOMS OF FLU:
- Fever 100.5° to 105°
- Dry Cough
- Sore Throat
HOW TO CARE FOR YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE THE FLU:
- Stay in your room or go home for the first five days of your illness (this is when you are contagious).
- Have a friend obtain food for you from dining hall with sick tray forms (download forms from Residence Life website).
- Be careful coughing around others. Use hand sanitizer before touching others and their belongings during the first five days of illness.
- Notify your professors of your illness. If needed, we will send your professor note for first five days that you are sick with the flu.
- Drink plenty of water, caffeine-free soda, or fruit juice.
- Eat small amounts of food, even if not hungry.
- Treat your fever, bodyaches, and headache with Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) 400mg every six hours, OR Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650mg every four hours, OR Acetaminophen (Tylenol Extra Strength) 1000mg every six hours.
- If instructed to do so by Health Center staff, treat your cough with Robitussin DM, 2 tsp every four hours as needed.
WHEN TO COME TO THE HEALTH CENTER:
- Fever greater than 101.5° and very fatigued
- You have Diabetes, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, kidney disease, immunosuppression, pregnancy, or hemoglobin abnormalities
- You are having difficulty eating or drinking
- You are not coping well with symptoms