Students for Sustainable Agriculture is a New Paltz student group that works to promote a sustainable food system that is healthy for consumers, farm-workers, and the environment. We seek to raise awareness about where food comes from, and where it goes. Our organization works with local farmers to protect this region's farmland, the local agricultural economy, and the health of the community and the planet. We also seek to empower students to grow their own food sustainably and become more aware of current day food politics.
Students for Sustainable Agriculture is currently involved in a number of campus and community based projects:
- Working with campus food service provider to bring local and organic food into campus eateries
- Working with farmers in the New Paltz area to establish an on campus farmer's market
- Hosting a ongoing video and lecture series focusing on agriculture, community and sustainability
- Organized food waste collection and composting efforts on campus and are currently working to establish a campus wide composting system
- Work with community members to organize our local Food not Bombs food distributions in the village of New Paltz.