Teaching Assistant (TA) and Graduate Assistant (GA) positions are available to matriculated graduate students who are in good academic standing and who are making good progress toward their degree. The procedure for application for an assistantship, including the selection criteria, are established by deans and academic departments, and publicized by graduate departments. Criteria for the awarding of an assistantship may include, but are not limited to: undergraduate grade-point average, standardized test scores, past experience or training, interest in the field of study, letters of recommendation, or personal interview.
- Review the listing of departments below who offer assistantships during the academic year to determine if you are eligible to apply.
- Contact the department regarding their specific application procedures.
- At minimum, prepare and submit a TA/GA Application Form, resume and cover letter to the Chair or Director of the department where you would like to work.
The following departments will consider applicants from any discipline for their GA positions:
- Center for International Programs
- The Graduate School
- Communications & Marketing
- Student Activities and Union Services
- Undergraduate Admission
The following departments select students from specific majors for their TA or GA positions:
- Art (MFA majors in Ceramics, Metal, Painting/Drawing, Printmaking, Sculpture for TA positions)
- Art Education (MSEd Visual Arts Ed, MFA majors for GA positions)
- Business (MBA majors for GA positions, MA English or MAT English Ed for TA position)
- Communication Disorders (MS Communication Disorders for TA positions)
- Computer Science (MS Computer Science for TA positions)
- Engineering (MS Electrical Engineering for TA positions)
- English (MA English for TA positions)
- Psychology (MA Psychology, MS Mental Health Counseling, MS School Counseling for TA positions)
- Samuel Dorsky Museum (MSEd Visual Arts Ed, MFA majors for GA position)
The following files all require Adobe Acrobat Reader and are for departmental use only. Prospective TAs and GAs should contact the department for application procedures.