The GRE general test is given year-round at authorized testing centers and is not offered at New Paltz. The GRE subject tests are offered at New Paltz. The code for New Paltz is 2541.
To find out more about the general or subject exams call 1-800-GRE-CALL or go to www.gre.org.
The Miller Analogies Test is offered at SUNY New Paltz throughout the year on an individual basis at a date and time chosen by the test taker and the proctor. For the MAT Registration Form and testing dates, go to:https://www.newpaltz.edu/regionaled/test-information/. If you have any questions, please call 845-257-3299.
Some departments require a certain proficiency on the exam for acceptance into their graduate programs. Contact the appropriate department chairperson or The Graduate School for this information.
For more information about the exam, go to www.milleranalogies.com.
Prospective international students for whom English is not the native language, and any applicant whose undergraduate degree is from a country where English is not the main language of instruction are required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency. Review the chart below for methods of demonstrating language proficiency. NOTE: Individual departments may require a score higher than the minimum acceptable score, so students should consult their departments. Please see the International Student page for more information.
Satisfactory Demonstration of English Language Proficiency
Conditional Admission for Applicants with Limited English Language Proficiency
English Proficiency may be demonstrated by providing evidence of meeting one of these criteria:
1. An official score of 80* on the TOEFL iBT, and 85 for MA English English, or an 90 for Second Language Education (TESOL).
2. An official score of 6.5* on the IELTS, or a 7.0 for Second Language Education(TESOL).
4. An official score of 53* on the PTE Academic, 57 for MA English applicants, or a 61 for Second Language Education (TESOL) applicants.
4. A passing score on a proficiency test given upon arrival on campus. (Only available to students who have been offered Conditional Admission.)
6. A Certificate of English Language Proficiency from the Haggerty English Language Program at SUNY New Paltz.
7. A college degree from a US institution.
In the event that you are offered admission having only demonstrated a marginal level of English Language Proficiency, you will be REQUIRED to sit for a placement exam. The exam may include:
1. A test of grammar, reading and listening comprehension.
2. An oral interview, and possibly
3. A writing sample.
Based upon your performance on the exam, you may be required to register for additional English language instruction. All students must demonstrate the required level of English proficiency before being allowed
If you need additional information, please contact the Haggerty English Language Program at 845-257-3595.