* Pre-Admission Advising * Admission Requirements * Standardized Exams * Transcripts * Application Process *

Pre-Admission Advising

I’d like to learn more about your graduate programs. May I speak with someone?
Yes, our Graduate Admissions Advising office provides program and admissions information to prospective graduate students in person, by phone, or via e-mail.

I am a graduate student at another institution and am interested in transferring to SUNY New Paltz as a graduate student. What should I do?
You would be considered as a new applicant, not a transfer student, and you’ll be required to submit all the documents listed by the Graduate School and the specific program for which you are applying. Upon admission you may transfer 6-9 credits into your new graduate program, pending departmental approval.

What is the minimum requirement to apply to the Graduate School?
The basic requirement for admission is a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university with a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency and submit translations/evaluations of their transcripts by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

My NYS Teaching Certificate has lapsed. Can I still apply?
Yes, you may still apply for a graduate program. If accepted for matriculation, you must apply for an extension since you would be required to provide evidence of a valid Teaching Certificate before graduation.

How do I contact the Graduate School?
You may contact the Graduate Admissions Advising Office and the Graduate School Administrative Office at: http://www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/contact.html

Is SUNY New Paltz an accredited institution?
The University is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is approved as a degree-granting institution by the Trustees of the State University of New York and the Regents of New York State.


Admission Requirements:

Where do I find the admission requirements for a graduate program?
Review our Admission Requirements and Deadlines page.

What is the minimum GPA required for Graduate School?
The minimum cumulative GPA is 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.

My undergraduate GPA is below 3.00. Can I still apply?
If your GPA does not meet our minimum admission standard, then you should contact your program's graduate coordinator.  The current listing of coordinators with their email addresses are available from our Admission Requirements and Deadlines page.


Standardized Exams:

Does SUNY New Paltz require standardized test scores for admission?
Certain programs require satisfactory scores on the MAT, GRE or GMAT. Refer to the Requirements and Deadlines page for your program’s specific exam requirements.

How do I send my test scores to SUNY New Paltz?
The code for reporting GRE and TOEFL scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2541.
The code for reporting GMAT scores to SUNY New Paltz is 2493.

Is the TOEFL required for international applicants?
Prospective international students for whom English in not the native language, and any applicant whose undergraduate degree is from a country where English is not the main language of instruction, are required to demonstrate satisfactory English language proficiency. Review this chart for methods of demonstrating language proficiency.



How many copies of transcripts do I need to submit?
We require one official transcript from ALL post-secondary institutions, including all transfer colleges and any college where college credit was earned during High School. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please send an official transcript that shows your current process. You will need to submit a final transcript once your degree has been conferred.

I’m an international applicant. What type of transcripts do I need to submit?
International applicants must provide an official copy of their transcripts including individual mark sheets and provisional certificates from each college or university attended. In addition, they must submit a translation and course-by-course evaluation of their transcript from a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

What is considered an official transcript?
Official transcripts must arrive in The Graduate School in sealed, unopened envelopes either as part of an application or sent directly to SUNY New Paltz.


Application Process:

How do I apply?
You may apply online or use our paper application.
Paper: download and print paper application at www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/paper.html

How do I upload my portfolio?
Once the Graduate School has received your online or paper application and processed it, you will receive a confirmation email. This email will provide you with a link to check your application status and upload your portfolio. You may download step-by-step directions here.

I’ve applied online; am I done?
No. Once you’ve finished the online application, you must gather and submit your supplemental items packet with your signed signature page. You may download the supplemental items packet from our website: http://www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/forms.html

What are the application deadlines?
Online applications may be submitted between December 1 and May 15 for Fall/Summer admission and August 1 and November 15 for Spring admission. Applicants choosing to apply early or to programs with a rolling admission deadline must submit a paper application. Please review the Requirements and Deadlines page on the Graduate School Web Site for your program’s specific application deadline.

Will it count if I just submit my application page and payment by the deadline?
No. Your complete application must be received in The Graduate School by the stated deadline. A complete application includes, but is not limited to: a signed application form, admission essay, official transcripts for every college/university attended, application fee, and letters of recommendation. Additional items may be required such as test scores, verification of NYS teaching certification or an art portfolio. Consult the departmental web pages for more information.

I have submitted my application; how can I check on the status of my application?
Once the Graduate School receives and processes an application, an e-mail is sent to the applicant with directions for checking his/her application status online. The online system indicates each item we’ve received within an application packet, the date it was received, and lists any missing documents.

I can’t check my status online. Who should I contact?
Send e-mail with your web ID, last name, and first name to gradschool@newpaltz.edu

What is a Banner Number?
A Banner Number is your Student ID number at New Paltz. The banner number begins with the letter N and is followed by eight digits. You are assigned a banner number once we process your application.

I submitted an application. When will I be contacted?
Once the department notifies the Graduate School of its recommendation regarding your admission, your application status will be updated online. However, official notification will be sent to you electronically, or mailed to your permanent address.