Prospective students must collect all of the materials required by the department to which they are applying, and forward them to the Graduate School in ONE COMPLETE PACKET. Upon receiving an applicant’s completed admissions application, it is forwarded to the appropriate department office for evaluation. All materials are reviewed by department faculty who select the applicants best suited for their program. Upon the recommendation of the department, the Dean of the Graduate School notifies the student by mail of the acceptance or non-acceptance into a program.
- Submit a signed application for admission (via online submission or paper version). If you elect to use the paper application, please type or print legibly with a ballpoint pen. Indicate your full legal name, and any other names you’ve used. If you need to formally change your name with the university, you must fill out a Name Change form.
If you are submitting an online application, please print the signature page that displays at the conclusion of your application submission and the application summary page. Include these two forms with the rest of your supplemental items that are required to conclude your online application process. You may download the Supplemental Item packet from our Forms page.
- Include two official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended including all transfer schools. If you are a New Paltz student, you only need to submit one official transcript. When requesting official transcripts, have them sent to your own address. If the college or university’s policy does not permit official transcripts being sent to a student address, then use the Graduate School’s mailing address. However, clearly note in your application packet which transcript is being sent directly to the Graduate School. Otherwise your application will be coded as incomplete.
- Request three letters of recommendation from people who are in a position to comment on your potential for graduate study. A letter from a former professor who taught you in an advanced course would be ideal. Using the letter of recommendation form provided in the paper application or online supplemental item packet, fill out the top portion and submit the form to your recommender. Ask each recommender to seal his/her letter in a self-addressed envelope that you provide, to sign it across the seal and to return it directly to you.
- Compose an admissions essay (see #12) which explicates your interest in a graduate program at SUNY New Paltz. Certain programs have specific guidelines for the admission essay; therefore, refer to your intended program of study’s description in the graduate catalog or the departmental website.
- Include the $50 application fee. Online applications require payment of the application fee by MasterCard or VISA. If you prefer to pay via check or money order, you must apply using our paper application. If you apply to two programs, you will be charged twice. Please note that the $50 application fee is non-refundable.
- Some programs require satisfactory scores on standardized tests, verification of a teaching certificate, portfolio or audition as part of the application process. For further information see Admission Requirements.
Registration forms for the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) are available online and from the Graduate Admissions Advising office (845) 257-3285. Registration information regarding the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) may be obtained from www.mba.com. SUNY New Paltz’s school code is 2541.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE-general exam) is no longer administered at SUNY New Paltz. Information regarding the GRE may be obtained toll free at 1-800-GRE-CALL, or on the Internet at www.gre.org. The GRE advanced subject exams are still administered on the New Paltz campus through the Graduate Admissions Advising office (845) 257-3285.