The Haggerty English Language Program delivers high quality English language instruction to speakers of other languages. Our student-centered curriculum is designed to educate international students both linguistically and culturally to be successful in an American university. By promoting cross-cultural encounters, outreach, and participation, we contribute to the diverse multicultural character of the campus and community.
We in the Haggerty English Language Program seek to educate students to be active and engaged global citizens of the 21st century, respectful of every culture, religion, and ethnicity.
What We Do
- We provide an intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) Program, a unit in the Center for International Programs at the State University of New York, New Paltz.
- We offer four levels of instruction during the academic year and three levels in the summer.
- We assess English language proficiency and place students according to level in a full-time program of study to improve their English language skills and prepare them to take academic coursework.
- We provide orientation, one-on-one mentoring, advising, and tutoring services.
- We sponsor English language-building activities and trips providing opportunities to learn about American history and culture.
- We actively support ESL student participation in SUNY New Paltz and community events in order to foster a more enriching experience for international students in the U.S.A.
- We offer an Academic Purposes level which allows students to enroll in academic and ESL courses, helping them transition into their undergraduate or graduate degree-granting program.
Nov. 30, 2012