| Blackboard | Hawkmail | Library | Zimbra

A-Z Index | Contact Us | People-Finder

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

Safety Programs > Injury Reporting

Injury ReportingReporting Procedures for On-The-Job Accidents, Injuries, and Illnesses.

This document outlines the procedures and responsibilities for reporting injuries, illnesses, accidents and medical emergencies at SUNY New Paltz. Injury/illness reporting requirements are mandated under New York State Public Employees Safety and Health Rule, Part 801. Observing the requirements outlined in this document will ensure timely injury/illness reporting and investigation, and promote a safe and healthful work environment.

Cell or other phone


Supervisors and Employees

All employees are responsible for promoting a safe and healthful work environment. To prevent injuries, illnesses, and accidents from occurring, unsafe work conditions or unsafe behavior must be reported to supervisors. Whereas supervisors should supply the appropriate corrective action for unsafe conditions or unsafe behavior whenever it is possible, Environmental Health and Safety (EH & S) should be contacted for situations that require special attention. To contact EH & S call 845-257-3310 (on campus ext. 3310)

All injuries or illnesses, regardless of severity level, must be reported by using an Employee Injury, Illness, Medical Emergency Report (Form CS-13). This form can also be obtained from the Office of Human Resources.

» Human Resource Website for the Forms and Documents you will need to report an Injury

Office of Human Resources

The Office of Human Resources will post information related to occupational injury/illness, job safety, and health protection, and will maintain injury/illness records as required by the New York State Department of Labor. The Office of Human Resources will also assist in completing regulatory surveys involving injuries and illnesses.

The Employee Injury, Illness, Medical Emergency Report (Form CS-13) will be reviewed by the Office of Human Resources. The Office of Human Resources will forward copies of completed on-line forms to the office of Environmental Health and Safety.

The Office of Human Resources is responsible for reviewing all return to work documentation (with or without restrictions/light duty). The Office of Human Resources will work in conjunction with the employee's supervisor to coordinate the return to work. Every effort will be made to accommodate the employee's return to work on light duty, however in some instances due to the nature of the job duties, this may not be feasible, and the return would be delayed until he/she was able to be released for full duty.

Environmental Health and Safety

The Office of Environmental Health and Safety will review all Employee Injury, Illness, and Medical Emergency Report forms (Form CS-13). All accidents, injuries, illnesses, and medical emergencies will be investigated by supervisors in order to ascertain the root cause. Environmental Health & Safety will help to implement appropriate corrective action whenever trends, unsafe conditions, or unsafe behavior are identified. Unsafe behavior may be reported to the Supervisor and or Human Resources for further action.
In the event of a work-related fatality or a hospitalization event involving two or more employees, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety will report within eight (8) hours the relevant information to the New York State Department of Labor, Division of Safety and Health.

University Police

University Police when responding to an incident where there is an employee injury will assist with information for the Medical Emergency Report forms (Form CS-13) for employees. University Police will forward any completed hardcopy forms to the Offices of Human Resources.

Student Health Service

Student Health Service may treat injuries and illnesses involving students if they present to Student Health Service during hours of operation. Students may be referred to an emergency room or another healthcare source if deemed necessary.


While injuries and illnesses involving students are not covered under Worker's Compensation, students should report injuries and illnesses to Student Health Services by completing a report through University Police, and seek care at Student Health Service