The Educational Administration programs provide an in-depth study to prepare administrators and school leaders to meet the challenges of a diverse and demanding educational environment.
Organizations such as The National Commission for Principalship, The National Policy Board for Educational Administration, The Educational Leadership Constituent Council, and The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) stress the importance of preparation programs to incorporate applied research, clinical activities and field work. The Department of Educational Administration at SUNY New Paltz is an exemplary site where students can obtain the training needed to be successful school administrators and leaders. The SUNY New Paltz Professional Education Unit, of which the Educational Administration Department is a part, is NCATE accredited.
The Department of Educational Administration offers:
1. a 30 credit Master's degree with a concentration in Educational Leadership
2. three different Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) programs (each 30 credits beyond the Master's degree) that enable prospective administrators to be granted certification by the State of New York. Candidates may pursue preparation programs for:
- School Building Leader (SBL) and School District Leader (SDL); this is a joint program
- School District Leader (SDL Transition D)
- School District Business Leader (SDBL)
State certification is needed for New York State supervisory positions. All candidates must take the State Education Department school leadership assessment(s) as appropriate for their area of certification.
Select a Topic:
- Master of Science with concentration in Educational Leadership
- Certificate of Advanced Study
- Required for Graduate School Application
Students are advised by a full-time faculty member. A Plan of Study is developed by the student and faculty advisor. The Plan of Study guides the student toward completing coursework appropriate for state certification.