Certificate of Advanced Study
School District Business Leader (SDBL) Program
This is a concentration within the 60 credit-hour Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) Program leading to New York State certification as a School District Business Leader (SDBL). For SUNY New Paltz, this is Program Code: 402a.
- Two original copies of the baccalaureate's and Master's transcripts from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.00 or higher at the graduate level.
- Three letters of recommendation: may come from the Chief Executive Officer (e.g. Superintendent of Schools) of a school district, a School Board member, an immediate supervisor, a school administrator, or a person who has supervised the candidate and can attest to leadership ability. Forms are available in the Application for Admission to Graduate School packet available from the Graduate School Office, HAB 804, or online at the Graduate School application page here.
- A coherent essay to reflect the Interstate School Leaders Licensure (ISLLC) Standards. These standards are found on other pages of the Department's website.
- If applicable, complete the Graduate Credit Transfer Request form.
- File a Plan of Study during the first semester after matriculation. Matriculation must be completed as soon as feasible. A candidate may take a maximum of 6 credits prior to matriculating. An advisor is assigned to each candidate and will guide the development of the Plan of Study.
- Complete prescribed course work and other requirements within five years after matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative average of 3.00 or better, with no more than two grades below B-
- Note: for certification, fingerprint clearance must be received again even if clearance had been received earlier in one's career.
- pass appropriate State assessment(s) prior to graduation
Curriculum Requirements (60 credits)
- Master's degree from an approved accredited college/university (up to 30 credits transferable)
Required Courses (9 credits of the following)
- EDA763 Educational Supervision and Accountability (3 credits)
- EDA771 Educational Leadership, Governance, and Policy Development (3 credits)
- EDA772 Administrative Theory and Practice (3 credits)
- EDA775 New York State Education Law and Policy Implementation (This course satisfies the SAVE requirement) (3 credits)
or EDA753 Finance Law (This course does not satisfy the SAVE requirement) (3 credits)
Elective courses (15 credits)
SDBL elective(s) selected under advisement by the college advisor as part of the Plan of Study
The following is a recommended list of electives for the SDBL candidate to consider:
- EDA751 Public School Accounting (3 credits)
- EDA752 Public School Budgeting (3 credits)
- EDA753 New York State Finance Law (3 credits)
- EDA754 Labor Relations for Administrators (3 credits)
- EDA755 Support Service Management (3 credits)
- EDA756 Computers & School Business Administration (3 credits)
- EDA776 Finance & Revenue Management (3 credits)
- EDA786 Facilities, Planning, Operations and Maintenance (3 credits)
- EDA 711 Internship (3 credits in each of 2 semesters)
- EDA712 Internship (6 credits in one semester)
- EDA793 Special Topics (3 credits)