The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) program is a 30-credit post-master’s program leading to certification as School Building Leader (SBL) and/or School District Leader (SDL). A six-credit internship is part of this program.
Candidates may apply to transfer in up to six credit hours post-Master's educational leadership courses and/or experience from another accredited institution. Criteria for review will focus on the conceptual framework of the Department of Educational Studies & Leadership and equivalence with current course offerings.
Each candidate will be evaluated through transcript review and documentation of previous administrative experience. All applicants must complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). *If the applicant holds a master’s degree, please contact the program coordinator before registering for the GRE.
SBL/SDL joint program (Program code: 401a)
Admission Requirements for the SBL/SDL:
- Two original and official copies of the baccalaureate and Master's transcripts from an accredited institution.
- 3.0 GPA or higher on Master's transcripts.
- Professional or permanent teaching certification.
- Three letters of recommendation. Forms are available in the Application for Admission to Graduate School packet available from The Graduate School, Old Main Building 127.
- A coherent essay reflecting on the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) Standards.
- Graduate Credit Transfer Request form, if applicable.
- Written verification from the school district of at least three years of teaching experience. Please submit this verification as a separate document, NOT as a statement within a letter of recommendation.
Matriculation must be completed before completing six credits. Upon matriculation, an advisor will be assigned to the candidate.
- With your advisor, file a Plan of Study during the first semester after matriculation.
- Complete courses and other requirements within five years of matriculation.
- Maintain a cumulative average of 3.00 or higher with no more than two grades below B-.
- Complete a Child Abuse Seminar or verify a previous completion of this seminar.
- Complete a S.A.V.E. course (if taking EDA775, this will automatically be recorded on your New Paltz transcript).
- Complete a Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop or verify a previous completion of this seminar.
- MMR immunization
- Application to and completion of Internship.
Required Courses (24 credits)
- EDA793 Leadership and School Organization (3 credits)
- EDA772 Administrative Theory and Practice (3 credits)
- EDA775 New York State Education Law and Policy Implementation (3 credits)
- EDA7xx Finance course (3 credits)
- EDA760 Current Issues in Educational Administration (3 credits)
- EDA769 The Principalship (3 credits)
- EDA784 Curriculum Development for Administrators (3 credits)
- EDA789 The Superintendency (3 credits)
- Internship in Educational Administration (6 credits)
You and your advisor will select from these courses at matriculation:
- EDA 752 Public School Budgeting (3 credits)
- EDA 755 Support Service Management (3 credits)
- EDA 773 School Business Administration (3 credits)
- EDA 774 Human Resource Management for Administrators (3 credits)
- EDA 776 Finance and Revenue Management (3 credits)
- EDA 777 Seminar in Practices and Problems in School Business Administration (3 credits)
- EDA 778 School Plant Administration (3 credits)
- EDA 786 Facilities Planning, Operation and Maintenance (3 credits)
- EDA 787 The Politics of Educational Administration (3 credits)
- EDA 793 Selected Topics (3 credits)
- EDA 799 Modular Institutes (1 credit)