The following information is provided to help you get to New Paltz in valid status and in conformance with the regulations of the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Please carefully read and follow the procedures that apply to you.


Information for prospective F-1 Students Outside the United States


Qualifying for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status
In order to qualify for a student visa, you must first obtain the form I-20. This immigration document confirms your admission to SUNY New Paltz and your eligibility for F-1 Student status. The first step to getting an I-20 is admission to the academic program. With the undergraduate application, you will be asked to provide documentation of your ability to finance your studies in the United States. Please keep in mind that you will need to provide the same and possibly additional information when you apply for your visa.

When all the documents are complete, we will issue the I-20 form and mail it to your campus coordinator. At the time the I-20 is issued, complete information about your academic program is entered into the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and this information is made available to all United States Consulates and Ports of Entry.


Applying for an F-1 Entry Visa
The first thing you should do is apply at the United States Consulate for an F-1 Student visa. To qualify for your F-1 entry visa, which gives you permission to enter the U.S., you will need to take your I-20, original financial documents, your valid passport, two passport-size (37 mm x 37 mm) photographs and the appropriate fee. visa_application_process_instructions_2013


All dual diploma students are encouraged to contact the SUNY Office in Ankara when they begin the visa application process. Their contact information is listed below:


Mailing Address:
State University of New York Office in Turkey
Arjantin Caddesi – Halici Sokak No: 4/4
Gaziosmanpasa, Ankara, Turkey 06700                                                                                  

Phone:  (011) 90-312-466-0476
             (011) 90 312 466 0477
Fax:      (011) 90-312-466-0478


Mr. Ben Balkaya
Program Director in Turkey

Ms. Katie Lansford
Associate Program Director in Turkey

Ms. Busra Topal
Program Advisor


Additionally, the Embassy of the United States in Ankara, Turkey has helpful information posted on their Web site. You may also find information you need at the Istanbul consular Web site.


Original documents will be necessary with your application for an F-1 Student Visa. The Consular Officer will require you to provide the same (and possibly additional) financial documentation you provided SUNY New Paltz. You will be required to show this complete documentation again upon arrival in the United States at the port of entry.


The consulate will provide you with form OF-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form) and any supplementary forms required by the particular Consulate. On occasion, a Consular Officer may require evidence of English proficiency sufficient to pursue your proposed program of studies. Applications are usually made in person although some Consulates will permit applications by mail with interviews if needed. The length of visa, number of entries permitted, and application fee are based on reciprocity and generally reflect your country's policies in granting visa privileges to visiting U.S. students.


Individual procedures and the amount of time required to obtain a visa vary from country to country. The Consular Officer has the final word on your application; his or her judgment is not subject to review. If, for any reason, you should encounter difficulties, please contact the SUNY New Paltz International Student Advisor. The advisor's e-mail address is


If you are unable to obtain an F-1 entry visa before coming to the United States, please contact the International Student Advisor as soon as you can to discuss your options. If you enter the United States in B-1 or B-2 visitor status you will not be permitted to pursue a full time degree program and you may not be able to change to a status that will allow you to study here. We strongly advise you to enter the United States in F-1 student status only.