Often, the best way for PCC to assist a student is to provide a referral to a local area therapist. In addition to providing the names of private local providers, PCC staff will work with students and provide coaching about how to contact a local provider and discuss his/her mental health needs. In general, the process of finding a private therapist includes:
- Locating your insurance policy information, including phone or web site, often found on your insurance card
- Inquiring about benefit coverage for "outpatient mental health care"
- Looking up a list of "mental health providers" in the New Paltz area on the company web site, or by speaking to a representative on the phone
- Calling the therapist and leaving a message on his/her voice mail
- Be sure to provide your contact number and the best time for the therapist to return your call
Should private therapy services be needed, students may need to utilize their private or Student Health Insurance to help offset the cost of services. When using New Paltz student health insurance for mental health services, students must be referred by the Psychological Counseling Center or the Student Health Service. This referral can be completed online with the assistance of a PCC senior staff member, who will verify the student's eligibility for coverage and authorize the referral. The student is responsible for presenting the completed form to his/her mental health provider.
Though frequently requested, the Psychological Counseling Center (PCC) does not provide counseling for court-mandated therapy. PCC staff will provide referrals to local area therapists who do offer this service.