Rehabilitation of van den Berg Learning Center Information
Description: The replacement of the clock tower culminates Phase I of a two-phase rehabilitation of the entire 67,770-square-foot van den Berg Learning Center to accommodate the rapidly growing School of Business and the Nursing program. Phase II is scheduled to be completed in December 2005.
Features: The renovation will double the amount of classroom and lab space for the School of Business and incorporate several state-of-the-art classrooms wired with the latest educational technology.
- 17 state-of-the-art "smart" classrooms wired with video/data projectors, sound systems, DVD/VCR playback, desktop computer/video/audio inputs and document camera touch-screen or push-button system controllers.
- Two of these classrooms will be equipped with distance learning technology, which will enhance two of the college's new academic partnerships: the Y�K-SUNY Dual Diploma program with Turkey and the Partnership for Higher Education, a $2.9 million endeavor created between New Paltz and Sullivan County Community College (SCCC).
History: Originally built in 1930 as the Campus Practice School, the building is named after Lawrence H. van den Berg, the last principal of the New Paltz Normal School and the first president of the State Teacher's College at New Paltz (1923-1943).
- From the beginning the school accepted as students, the children of regional migrant workers, college staff and faculty, and the families of New Paltz and its outlying districts.
- 1938 - requirements for graduation extended from a 3-year course of study to a four-year program.
- By 1942 New York Board of Regents authorized the school to grant Bachelor of Science Degree in teacher's education.
- Dr. Van den Berg died in 1943.
- Later that same year the NY State Legislature changed the name of the school to the State Teacher's College at New Paltz.
- 1948 - State University of New York established in NY. State Teacher's college at New Paltz was one of 31 existing state education institutions incorporated into the new system.
- When the VLC closed in 1982, it became the Children's Center, catering to the care of offspring of adult students, staff and faculty and the New Paltz community.
- Most recently, the building was home to the School of Business, the Nursing program and the Child Care Center, which has moved to its permanent location at the south end of campus.
General Contractor: U.W. Marx Inc., Troy, New York
Architect: Hall Partnership Architects, LLP
- Catherine Martone, Architect
- John Shupe: Assistant Vice President of Facilities Management
- Dale Coon: Project Coordinator
Estimated Cost: $11 million