Chemistry Department Celebrates National Chemistry Week
On Friday, October 24 the Chemistry Department hosted its sixth annual Family Mole Night where kids between the ages of 8-12 are invited to come on campus to do some hands-on activities with the students and faculty of the New Paltz Chemistry Department. This year, the activities included:
- Meg A. Mole’s Bouncing Ball – The students prepare a bouncing ball
- What Counts in Bounce – The students investigate what factors make a ball bounce.
- The Buzz on Electrolytes –Students make a sensor to detect the presence of electrolytes in different drinks.
- Evaporation Exploration – The students test the evaporation rate of two liquids.
- Needle Through a Balloon – The students learned how to push a needle through a balloon without popping it.