Rena Leinberger's work has been exhibited in solo shows at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Gallery 400 at University of Illinois of Chicago, Zg Gallery, Georgia Southern University, and 1R Gallery; and commissioned public projects by the Evanston Art Center in Evanston, Illinois and the NYC DOT’s Urban Art Program in Queens, New York. Her work has been included in group shows internationally in Germany, Great Britain and the United Arab Emirates. She has also been included in group exhibitions at Queens Museum of Art, Bronx Museum of the Arts, Smack Mellon, Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art at Snug Harbor Cultural Center, CUE Art Foundation, Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art - MASS MoCA, the Urban Institute of Contemporary Art (Grand Rapids, Michigan), and the City of San Antonio International Center, among others.
Rena Leinberger works primarily in sculpture, installation, public projects and photography. The projects utilize building materials as object, image and artifice, navigating our surroundings as simultaneously constructed and imaged space. These duplicative and reciprocal relationships produce an inquiry into progress, material failure, and the collapse of ideologies that accompany our architectures.
Awards, Honors & Recognition
- Grants from the Joan Mitchell Foundation
- Sponsored residency at the International Studio and Curatorial Program (ISCP) in New York
- Residencies at threewalls, Catwalk, Dickinson College
- Fellowship in the Bronx Museum's AIM program.
- Recent participant in Lower Manhattan Cultural Council's Swing Space residency program on Governors Island, New York.