The SUNY Paltz Art Department is extending the First Year (Freshman) Application period until July 1, 2014.
Requirements for Undergraduate Applicants
Once you are ready to apply, log in to the online portfolio submission site.
For both freshman and transfer applicants, the successful portfolio review is paramount. Students are admitted according to the strengths of their artistic capabilities as demonstrated by the proficiency and promise of work included in portfolios.
Early submission of portfolios is strongly encouraged.
Freshman Applicants (PDF):
Prospective art students must be academically accepted to SUNY New Paltz PRIOR to submitting an online portfolio; therefore, prospective students are advised to apply for early admission to the College so that the art portfolio can be reviewed early in the spring semester for fall admission.
Transfer Applicants (PDF):
Acceptance to the College is contingent to being accepted into a major. For Art transfers, this means that an accepted portfolio is necessary. Prospective students should apply early because the Art Department receives a great number of transfer applications each year.
Accepted Students are encouraged to enroll then register for Student Orientation and Course Registration. Information for both can be found by clicking on the following links:
Other resources for your day
Parking - Since you are our special guest, no parking permits are required for these events. Parking will be in the West parking lot and in the Elting main, middle or lower lot. All four parking lots are located near the Athletic and Wellness Center. Student volunteers will direct you to available parking spaces.
Registration for this event is available through your my.newpaltz.edu account once you have been accepted. You can also reach us by phone at 845-257-3688.
Weekly Art Department Tours
Art Department tours are coordinated through Undergraduate Admissions.
Please click on this link to register for a tour:
Requirements for Graduate Applicants
The application deadline for the Ceramics, Painting & Drawing and Metal programs is February 15. The deadline for the Sculpture and Printmaking programs is April 15, but applicants who apply before February 15 will be given priority. Please note that the application requires payment of a non-refundable $50 application fee.
For online applications, payment can be made by credit card (Visa or MasterCard). For paper applications, payment can be made by credit card (Visa or MasterCard), a U.S. Postal money order, or a check in U.S. funds made payable to SUNY New Paltz.
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required for admission.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the Graduate Admissions Advising office at 845-257-3285 or: email@example.com
Required Graduate Application Procedures
- Submit an online application through the Graduate School and pay application fee. Please note that online applications for the Fall semester are accepted starting on December 1.
- After your application and fee have been received by the Graduate School, you will be sent an e-mail with a link to our Electronic Portfolio system. Use the information provided in the email to log in and check your online application status. On this site you will see a link at the top of the page titled "Submit Portfolio." Use this link to upload your portfolio. If you experience problems accessing the electronic portfolio system, please download the guide from here.
- Your portfolio should consist of 20 examples of your best work. Images can be labeled and ordered as they are uploaded into our Electronic Portfolio system. Each work sample must be labeled with the title of work, medium, size, and date. You may include external links to videos as part of your portfolio.
- For good image quality and fast upload, we recommend jpeg images no larger than 1280 x 1280 pixels @ 72 dpi.
- As part of the online application process, you will be asked to submit an artist statement that discusses your concepts, research, methods, and influences.
- Once you have submitted your application fee payment information, print the signature page that automatically displays. The signature page will be required to complete your admissions process. The signature page will only display once.
Send the following items in one packet:
- The signed signature page from your online application or paper application
- Three letters of recommendation from instructors or other individuals who can evaluate your potential for graduate study
- One official transcript from each college/university attended, including colleges from which you have transferred credits
- A resume or CV
- Your Graduate Admissions essay that clearly addresses the following:
- How have your previous experiences contributed to your decision to enter the program?
- How will graduate study assist you in achieving your future career and educational aspirations?
- What are your professional goals?
Your essay should be typed, double-spaced, and approximately 400 to 500 words. Because your essay provides a sample of your writing, it should reflect exemplary organization, writing style, and mechanics.
Mail your complete application package to:
The Graduate School
State University of New York at New Paltz
Haggerty Administration Building 804
1 Hawk Drive
New Paltz, NY 12561-2443
Prospective international students for whom English is not their native language and any applicant whose undergraduate degree is from a country where English is not the main language of instruction are required to demonstrate English language proficiency.
Please see the following link for specific instructions:
For more detailed information regarding applications, course offerings and other degree requirements, contact the Graduate Office at 845-257-3285.
For more information, visit the following sites: