Heinz Ahlmeyer grew up in Pearl River, NY
- Graduated from Pearl River High School.
- Attended Rockland County Community College for one year before transferring to SUNY New Paltz.
- At New Paltz, he played soccer, swam backstroke for the swim team and played baseball.
- After graduating in June of 1966, he entered Officer's Candidate School at Quantico, VA.
- Marine Corp 2nd Lieutenant Ahlmeyer began his tour of duty May 9, 1967, less than one year after graduation.
- The next day, he was helicopter-lifted into South Vietnam, where he and his comrades were overrun by North Vietnamese.
- Ahlmeyer was killed on May 10, only one day after he began his tour of duty.
Heinz Ahlmeyer Award - SUNY New Paltz Athletics
- The award was established by the Delphic Fraternity (an athletic fraternity) in 1967, and is considered the most prestigious honor to be bestowed upon any athlete at New Paltz.
- It speaks of one's ability to completely dedicate themselves to the team, giving everything despite the outcome, not only in competition, but also in every aspect of student life.
- Presented to the one student athlete whose dedication, perseverance and service beyond self has been an inspiration to both his/her teammates and fellow students.
A photograph of Heinz Ahlmeyer may be downloaded from the SUNY New Paltz Web site at www.newpaltz.edu/news/images/ahlmeyer.html.