The mission of the Academic Advising Center is to assist undergraduate students as they develop educational plans that are consistent with their academic strengths as well as their personal and career goals. Academic Advisement is a collaborative endeavor that spans a student's time at SUNY New Paltz and the Academic Advising Center works not only with students but with faculty and other campus departments to support students' academic planning, retention, and success. The AAC supports student learning and engagement by:
- empowering students to become effective agents for their own academic success by familiarizing them with a range of academic advising and planning tools.
- increasing students' awareness of General Education, degree requirements, academic policies and procedures through outreach programs, advising meetings, and the Academic Advising Web site.
- supporting new first year and transfer students transition into New Paltz through new student orientation programming, accurate advising and placement, guidance on transfer course articulation, and support for undeclared majors.
- coordinating academic retention initiatives such as midterm evaluations, referrals to student support services, and intervention programs for students on academic probation or who have graduation deficiencies.
- providing training and assistance for faculty and professional advisors to promote strong advising in the major and across campus.