Prior to your assigned registration day:
- Print a copy of your Progress Report from my.newpaltz.edu. This document tells you what general education, major, and minor requirements remain to be completed, as well as the total upper division and liberal arts credits completed to date.
- Look at the relevant Schedule of Classes.
- Make a draft schedule, with alternates, based on what you need and what is being offered.
- Be careful not to schedule time conflicts for lecture, lab or discussion sections. Be sure to read all footnotes and prerequisites applicable to the section of courses you select.
- In some cases it will be necessary to obtain the permission of the instructor or department chair. Contact the Chair prior to Advance Registration to ensure the necessary approvals are received.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor. Take your draft schedule and Progress Report with you when you meet with your advisor. Your advisor will review your selections and give you a PIN. The PIN signifies you have met with your advisor and is needed to register online. (If you need to register in person, you will need to obtain a signed registration form.)
- Check for holds on your account. Look in your my.newpaltz.edu account (Student Information > General > Holds) to find out if any holds have been placed on your account. Resolve the hold by contacting the office that placed it.
NOTE: UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS MAY NOT REGISTER FOR MORE THAN 18 CREDITS. In certain circumstances the appropriate dean and chair of the student's major may grant permission. An Excess Credit Form is required. Students with undeclared majors need the permission of the Dean of Academic Advising (OM 127).