Courses taken at New Paltz

Students must earn a passing grade in a course to apply it toward a GE requirement. If a student chooses the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading option for a course, the course cannot be used to fulfill a GE requirement. However, students have the option to change a grade of Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory back to a letter grade.

Courses taken at another institution

High School Courses - First-year students who took college-level course work in high school and earned a grade of C- or better will receive transfer credit for such course work; GE credit will also be granted for courses that meet the SUNY GE requirement.

Courses Taken at Another SUNY - Students who transfer from another SUNY institution and who earned a grade of C- or better in courses that met the SUNY GE requirement will fulfill that requirement at New Paltz and will receive transfer credit for the courses. Earned grades of D+, D or D- in such courses will fulfill the SUNY GE requirement at New Paltz, but transfer credit will not be granted. Upon matriculation at New Paltz, transfer students will be expected to meet New Paltz GE requirements.

Courses Taken at an Institution Outside the SUNY System - Students who transfer from a non-SUNY campus will have their transcript evaluated upon acceptance to New Paltz. A preliminary determination of credits accepted toward the SUNY and New Paltz GE requirements, as well as toward college-wide and major requirements, will be made at that time.