As an incoming freshman, you have the option of participating in a First-Year Interest Group (FIG). FIGs create smaller communities where students can more easily get to know their peers and professors. FIGs -- some of which include a shared residence hall -- consist of one to three courses linked together and taken by a cohort of first-year students and taught by professors who coordinate themes and activities. When you sign up for a FIG, you get to:
Register early and have a partial schedule made prior to your orientation session.
Enroll in some of our most popular courses.
Interact with professors who excel at connecting with first-year students.
Read our Flyer for 2014 FIGs.
FIGs for All Students
- First-Year Initiative (FYI). Open to all first year students, FYI students live together in Esopus Hall and take one or two courses in common the first semester. FYI includes in-hall programs, field trips, Resident Mentors, and opportunities for community service.
- Thematic/GE FIG for 2014. "Ancient Perspectives" explores the ancient Greeks' development from the Bronze Age to the Hellenistic Period, examines the Greeks' achievements, and strives to understand whether ancient Greece is deserving of the title "Cradle of Western Civilization." Students take Athens & Jerusalem and History of Ancient Greece together.
FIGs for Students Pre-accepted into Majors/Programs
- Art Program. For students who have been pre-accepted into the Art Department. Students take two to three art foundation courses in common and live together in Lenape Hall.
- BS/DO Program. For students who have been pre-accepted into the BS/DO program. Students take Pre-Osteopathic Seminar, General Chemistry I, and Biology I togehter, and live together in Lenape Hall.
- Scholar’s Mentorship Program (SMP). For students invited to participate in the SMP program. Student take Issues in the Education of Underrepresented College Students and live together in Shango Hall.
- Business Pre-Major FIG. For students pre-accepted into the Business Department. Students take Comp I and two business courses together.
- Art Pre-Major FIG. For students pre-accepted into the Art Department. Students take two to three art foundation courses together.
- Honors Program. For students pre-accepted into the Honors program. Students take two courses in common.