1. Brand-new transfer students have immediate advising needs.
    • Ideally, advisers should meet with new transfer students at the beginning of their first semester, prior to the end of the add/drop period.
  2. Most students transfer to New Paltz with a major, though they must still complete the department's major declaration paperwork. 
    • If this was not completed at transfer orientation, take care of it at your first meeting. Students' progress reports will not reflect their major until the paperwork is processed.
  3. It is critical that transfer students get into prerequisite courses as soon as possible, so that their time to graduation is not unduly delayed.
    • Any advocacy you can provide transfer students to help them get into needed courses will be very helpful to the students and to the department's graduation rates.
    • Students should find out as soon as possible how their transfer courses will be applied toward their program of study.
    • Many courses from common feeder schools are already "articulated" in the New Paltz transfer equivalency database.  These courses should automatically show up in the major section of the progress report.
  4. Courses not in the transfer equivalency database will be found at the bottom of the progress report.
    They will have a department prefix and one of the following codes:
    • 000 -elective or course equivalent, level unknown
    • 001 -lower division course or elective
    • 003 -upper division course or elective

Note: Courses noted as APL000 are Applied Non-Liberal Arts credits. NCR000 are developmental or non-credit bearing courses.

Once you deem a transfer course as equivalent to a New Paltz major course, use the Adviser Transfer Credit Form (a "workflow") in my.newpaltz.edu to have the course properly applied. Students are responsible for providing you with course descriptions and/or syllabi to aid in your review.

If you approve a transfer course as a substitution or elective (i.e, it is not directly correlated to a New Paltz course), use the Major/Minor Plan Amendment Form (another "workflow") in my.newpaltz.edu. When students have questions about transfer credit or waivers for General Education courses, refer them to the Academic Advising Center.

Finally, note that the quality of transfer students' prior advising and coursework is variable. You can't alter their previous educational experiences, but you can definitely help to facilitate their smooth transition to New Paltz!