VISITING STUDENT APPLICATION PROCESS
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING VISITING STUDENT APPLICATIONS FOR FALL 2015
Who is a Visiting Student?
- Undergraduate students who attend another college and wish to take courses at New Paltz during the regular academic year are considered visiting students.
- Visiting students remain enrolled at their home institution and are considered non-degree students at New Paltz.
- Visiting students may take up to one academic year of courses at New Paltz.
General Visiting Student Criteria
- You must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA at your home institution for consideration.
- You must not be on academic probation, academic warning or academic suspension at your home institution.
- You must not be on disciplinary probation or suspension at your home institution.
- You must meet the same general admission criteria as transfer applicants to SUNY New Paltz.
- Complete and submit the “Visiting Student Application.”
- Submit the $50 application/processing fee. Make the check or money order payable to "SUNY New Paltz." Do not send cash. The application/processing fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Required application documentation
- Your application must be signed by your advisor (from your home institution) indicating approval of all courses your wish to enroll in at New Paltz and providing signed proof of your good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Submit an official transcript from your home institution.
Application & Required Documents Due Date
- May 1
- Nov. 1
- SUNY New Paltz does not process visiting student applications for the summer session as the summer session is open to the general public, providing certain basic requirements and course prerequistes are met.
SUNY New Paltz reserves the right to change application due dates without notice.
Approval as a Visiting Student
- You will be notified of the enrollment decision by mail.
- You may register for courses, on a space available basis, only during the registration period noted for visiting students on the Academic Calendar.
- You must document that you have met any and all course prerequisites.
- You may not request "permission of instructor" overrides for closed course sections.
- Upon course registration, you will receive an invoice from the Office of Student Accounts with a payment due date. Failure to abide by this date will result in course de-registration.
- If you are receiving financial aid (including loans) from your home institution, you are responsible for making arrangements with your home institution to ensure the continuation of financial aid.
On-campus housing is not available.
IMPORTANT VISITING STUDENT ENROLLMENT INFORMATION
- Visiting students may enroll in courses for a maximum of two semesters. After two semesters they must apply for transfer admission.
- Visiting students must attain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA or they will be ineligible to register for further courses at New Paltz.
Study Abroad Program or Legislative Gazette Internship
- Students who are matriculated at another institution and wish to participate in the New Paltz Study Abroad program or the Legislative Gazette Internship are considered visiting students.
- Study Abroad applications can be found at: New Paltz Study Abroad
- Legislative Gazette applications can be found at: Legislative Gazette