| Blackboard | Hawkmail | Library | Zimbra

A-Z Index | Contact Us | People-Finder

» Current Students | » Faculty & Staff | » Future Students | » Parents | » Alumni, Donors & Friends | » Athletics | » Employment | » Give Today!

Interact...Join the conversation

Admissions Criteria

Second Degree Applicants

Who is a second degree applicant?

An individual who has already earned a bachelor’s degree and who now wishes to attain another bachelor’s degree in a different major is considered a second degree candidate.

What is the policy regarding second degree applicants?

  • The intended major of the second degree must require at least 15 credits that were not contained in the major of the first degree.

  • Second degree students receive a maximum of 90 credits in transfer and are considered to have met all however division requirements for the second bachelor’s degree. The number of liberal arts and upper division credits will be based on credits taken in the first degree. 

  • Second degree students are considered to have met the general education program and the writing intensive requirement.

  • Second degree students must complete the entire major as determined by the chairperson of the academic department. 

  • A residency requirement of 30 credits is mandatory.

What are the requirements for second degree admission?

The admission requirements are identical to those used to make transfer admission decisions. Please refer to the transfer admission section of this web page for details.

How do I apply for a second degree?

  • Apply using the online SUNY application for admission


  • Use the “transfer” applicant type and list your previous college(s).

  • The application fee is $50.00 and non-refundable or transferable.

  • The application deadlines are:

                   Fall Enrollment - April 1*

                   Fall Art/Visual Arts Education - March 15*

                  Spring Enrollment - December 1*

                  Spring Art/Visual Arts Education - October 15*

*The College reserves the right to close admission with prior notification to the applicant.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Send all transcripts to:    

                                     Office of Undergraduate Admission
                                     SUNY New Paltz
                                     100 Hawk Drive
                                     New Paltz, New York 12561-2499 

Be sure that your bachelor’s degree is posted on your transcript!

Is financial aid avialable to second degree students?

Please note that second degree students are limited to undergraduate senior-level loan borrowing limits and are no longer eligible for Federal grant aid programs.  Contact the Office of Financial Aid, (845) 257-3250 with any concerns.

I have more questions.

  • If your questions are related specifically to the major, please contact the department chairperson directly.

  • If your questions are about the second degree admission process, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission

                     Telephone: (845) 257-3200, menu option #2.


Please identify yourself as a second degree applicant when making your inquiry.