175 Years: 1828-2003
State University of New York at New Paltz home
photo of New Paltz Normal's 1902 football team - The Red Stockings
photo of the New Paltz Academy
History Events Resources Partners 175 home
photo of the Old Main Building


History

SUNY on the Wallkill: A Walking Tour of Early SUNY New Paltz
By Christopher Raab

photo caption below
New Paltz Classical School - Plaque identifying the first Classical School - 1828
(Stones from the first church on Huguenot St. were used to construct the first floor.)



photo caption below
New Paltz Classical School - Established on 2nd floor of 15 N. Front St. - 1828
(viewed from across the street in 1984 photograph)



photo caption below
New Paltz Academy - Village map featuring the New Paltz Academy on the Wallkill River
(from the Beers' Ulster County Atlas - 1875)



photo caption below
New Paltz Academy - Lithograph from the Beers' Ulster County Atlas - 1875
(view from across the Wallkill looking South East)



photo caption below
Photo of the New Paltz Academy after 1840
(view from across the Wallkill looking East)



photo caption below
New Paltz Academy after the fire of 1884
(view looking North along Huguenot Street)



photo caption below
New Paltz Academy Board of Trustees - 1885
(Ralph LeFevre, Chairman of the Board - seated far right)



photo caption below
The New Academy - Renovated and accepted as New Paltz Normal - 1885
(view from across the Wallkill looking North East)



photo caption below
Village of New Paltz showing the location of New Paltz Normal - Fire Insurance Maps - 1890



photo caption below
Normal School Addition - North Wing - Built 1887
(view from across the Wallkill looking South East)



photo caption below
New Paltz Normal destroyed after Easter weekend fire - April 1906
(view looking North)



photo caption below
New Paltz Normal - Rebuilt on present day SUNY New Paltz campus - 1907
(view looking South West from Plattekill Avenue)



photo caption below
Back of the New Paltz Normal School - 1907
(view looking South East)


Postcard images courtesy of the SUNY New Paltz Postcard Collection and Dennis O'Keefe.